thinking about getting a BICYCLE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytop714

Reaction score
Apparently I wasn't the only one confused by another thread on here about someone looking to get a "bike".

I was hoping to get a little insight into the subject and was going to comment but then realized that it should probably be in it's own thread.

So, here it goes: much like the OP in the other thread, I am a big guy. I'm about 6' tall and weigh in around 285, right now, but hoping to get that number to something lower (it's a work in progress).

I have my old GT Talera/Outpost that I got in 7th or 8th grade (about 20 years ago) and it works ok for what I use it for, which is pretty much just the occasional ride, for now. It does have some issues, though, and it's just old, to be honest. I would like to start riding a little more often and possibly using it to commute to work, when weather permits.

I only live 3-3.5 miles from my office, so I don't need a touring bike. I like to ride on mountain roads, but I don't really have much of an interest in trail riding, so I don't need or want a mountain bike. So I guess I'm looking at a road bike or a hybrid/"fitness" bike.

I also don't want to spend a pile of money on a bike, either.

Just curious to see what suggestions you might have or if there are certain things I should look for, when/if I start looking around.

Funny, I'm just about the same size as you, 6' 286, and recently started riding a bike to try and lose some weight and get exercise. I inherited my bike from a friend whose husband passed away a couple years ago. It's a great bike and perfect for a big guy like me. It's a Gary Fisher Tiburon Hybrid (http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2010&brand=Gary+Fisher&model=Tiburon). Looks like you can pick up a used one for a couple hundred bucks on eBay/Craig's list. New they run about $500 or so.

Personally if money was no object then I would get the Trek Transport. Killer bike set up for urban utility use but pricey. Otherwise I would look a the Trek FX series, sensibly priced with a nice commuter setup.

Yes I am a Trek guy.

Until they opened the light rail extension near my office, occasionally I would ride the train as far as it went and then bike the remaining 4 miles to work.

I ride a very old Cannondale mountain bike. The two things I don't like about it are: 1) it's a really heavy bike and 2) it's not ideally geared for long hills.

The two things I like about it are: 1) I sit nice and high so I get a good view of traffic and 2) it's practically indestructible.

Something I think you might want to check into, and I'm considering it too, is an extra long seat post. I'm 6'-1". I have my seat post extended slightly beyond its safety limit. I'm thinking I'd be more comfortable if I could extend it another inch.

Another thought is to do some upgrades to your current bike like some smoother tires and ergonomic grips and a more comfortable seat and just ride that, after of course a good cleaning and going through. The nice thing is if you have to park it outside in a rack it will most likely be the worst looking bike in the rack so it will be less likely to be even considered to be stolen. That is what my current commuter bike is, my mountain bike from when I was in 7th grade set up as a single speed smooth tires and some comfortable grips.

just buy something in the right size off craigslist. There are tons of nice quality bikes that some other poor sucker paid full price for, rode for two month, put it on a rack in the garage, and let it collect dust for two years before deciding to sell if for less than half what it cost them.

My $2200 road bike cost me $400. Sure it had a few scratches but nothing major. Sure it is a few years old but the components (where all the real cost is anyway) were top notch then and still good quality by today's standards.

My $800 mountain bike cost me $200. It was two years old, you could not tell it had really even been ridden hard, and it had recently been fully tuned by a local bike shop.

As far as style goes I think the Fitness bikes are perfect for commuters. Light but not fragile/delicate frame sets. No money tied up in complex and expensive suspension systems. Low rolling resistance wheel and tire sets but not so thin and delicate that you get a flat rolling over a discarded bottle cap. Good quality components without paying for full race top dollar gear.

The previously mentioned FX series from Trek and the similar offerings from competitors like Cannondale are very solid. I may very well replace my mountain bike (Trek) and my road bike (Cannondale) with one single Fitness style bike in the not so far off future.

No tuneups or home loans needed. Of course, you aint riding to the top of Kilimanjaro with it either.

And I know, it'd be 1,000 times cooler if it were a old American made Schwinn.

B002TR0PRK_51KSCwdO-iLAA280_.jpg

+1 on buying a used, quality bike, then paying $100 for a shop to fix it up. I worked in a shop for 10 years, most bikes end up as dust collectors.

Ya, I have also been on the market for a good commute bike- maybe 2 miles each way. Are the "hybrids" a must, or is your average mt bike fine?

^^ Mtn bike is fine; fit is more important than the style of bike. OP, I agree you should pick up a good-quality used bike with a sturdy frame. Steel rides better than aluminum if you are not going with suspension. Buy a good brand, not department store crap.

thanks so much for the feedback. Sorry I'm a little slow on the response, I haven't been around a computer for the last few days.

At any rate, I think I may start poking around CL to see what I can find. Finding a used bike would be ideal. My quick responses to some of the feedback; unfortunately money IS an object so the Trek touring bikes are definitely out, for me, even they are pretty sweet. I'm probably leaning toward their FX model or something similar from another manufacturer. I've heard from a few other people to just got to a shop and check out a bunch of different ones and see what fits best for me.

I have already considered the option of just upgrading/fixing up the bike I already have but, after calling around to a few different local shops, for as much as it would cost to do all of them, I'd be more than halway to a new bike, already.

I will probably be watching CL but it might be a good idea to go check a few out so I have a better idea of what I'm looking fore, too.

Again, thanks for all the feedback! :mug:

Before you buy a bike, go to local bike shops and test ride some. There are price sweet spots with bikes. For a road bike, it is around $900. If you are looking for a daily commuter, don't be afraid of steel. Trek 520, Surly Long Haul Trucker are dream bikes of mine. I have a Trek 1.2 that has around 5000 miles on it.

My dad has a Jamis entry level road bike that is sweet. A friend of mine really likes his Specialized. If you look aluminum, carbon fiber forks will deaden road buzz.

I also have a full carbon time trial bike. It is not recommended for commuting.

I'm ~6'3" 180lbs. I bought a Trek 7.1 - ~$400 new. Rides great. Fast as I want to go with no helmet (always wear a helmet!). Works great on the occasional dirt road / decently smooth field.

No offense to the used bike folks, but...try a used bike, then go see your local Trek dealer with some cash in your pocket. See what you end up with.

You'll ride it more if you enjoy the ride. Above all, make sure the bike fits you. Get a pro to fit you to the right sized frame, even if you decide to go the used route.

I'll throw this out there, maybe some of y'all can confirm/deny. A local cycle shop had to move and there was a call to arms for vols. Owners dad is in our running club and great folks so of course I said sure. We moved more freaking parts bikes/frames, left overs, forgotten, written off bikes than were ever on the showroom. Yea they're in it for sales, but if you can strike up the conversation, pay for a small custom, they might throw something together. I never thought about it until I carried a couple hundred bikes out of the cellar.

Man, what I would, or wouldn't do... to find a Hutch cruiser. the cruisers are just like your 20" BMX, but they are 24" and Hutch was the BEST bike EVER made in the universe. If you can find one, money should be no object. NO other bike, even built today can match it. They are SUPER light and SUPER strong. The 24" size isn't as large as a typical Mt bike, but just larger enough than a 20" to be comfortable and you could still whip it around like you used to...back in the day. lol (really tho)

Definitely go to a few different shops and test ride a few different bikes. There are a lot of variables that go into finding a bike that fits you well, and most bike shops are great at finding something that works for you. Once you find a bike you like, used or not, get a professional bike fit. The best investment I ever made on my bike, was a fitting session.

I found a Specialized "Sirrus" road bike on my local CL for $400. I may have to check that out.

Otherwise, I will probably go to a shop and do some asking and some riding, and see what works. I haven't been to a bike shop in years, so I can only imagine that they'll have some used inventory, too, that would be at a reasonable price.

I have a Fuji Absolute for my road riding/commute (got a hell of a deal on it), and I have a Fuji Tahoe 29'er (with alot of upgrades on it) for my mt bike.

The absolute is light and is pretty much a road bike with a flat bar on it. I'm not ready for dropouts. It is nice and zippy, carbon fork. And when the wheels are trued, pretty quick (for me anyway). But most importantly, as has been already said, price won't make a lick of difference if you don't feel comfortable on the bike. If you aren't comfortable, you won't ride it, and then who cares what kind of deal you got on it. Go to a local shop and ride some bikes. Then go find another local shop that carries different brands and ride those. See who can work out a deal for you.

Back