thinking about BIAB as my next step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mj1angier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking this might be how I will get into all grain brewing.

I have been using this pot as my brew kettle
http://www.agrisupply.com/carolina-cooker-stock-pot/p/41879/

My thought is using the basket that is for boil seafood, but lining it with mesh to make my "bag". The handle will make pulling spent grain out easy. Pot is big enough I think that if needed I could put spacers on bottom of basket to keep it off bottom of pot.

Is this a sound idea? Or is it better just to build a spider to hold a bag and add a false bottom to keep it from scorching.

Thanks,
Mickey

That would work. I used something a little smaller when I was doing BIAB and never had any scorching issues. You can use a basket or false bottom just to be safe but I don't think it's necessary if you are careful.

I use a 50 qt steamer pot (king kooker, I believe) with wilser bag. No need for the strainer basket, especially if you are using a pulley to lift. Lifting by the string (via pulley) actually helps drain faster, IMO, as it forms a cone that concentrates the wort into one stream.

No need to shim the basket as you mentioned. Actually no need for a basket.

All you need for basic BIAB brewing is a kettle, a bag, and heat.

Oh and maybe a blanket or old winter coat to insulate the kettle during the rest....

Adding more pieces is fine, but it can add issues.....a basket can limit the mash volume to the basket only leaving amounts of water outside the mash.

I assume you are mashing in the boil pot so I'd think you have to insulate it to prevent heat loss or if you are gonna use heat under it you'd want the bag off the bottom. But I could be wrong since I mash in a cooler. LOL

Unless you plan to do a step mash, don't worry about scorching the bag. Just bring the water to strike temp, turn off the burner and do the mash. You don't need to add heat until the bag is pulled out again.

If I ever needed to raise the temp of the mash, I would hold the bag so it wasn't resting on the bottom of the pot and then turn on the burner for a couple of minutes and turn it off and let the bag rest again.

Another option is stir constantly over low heat if you need t raise your mash temp a little bit. Stirring will distribute the heat and avoid scorching, just like cooking a thick sauce.

As said above, with a little practice and hitting your strike temp accurately, there shouldn't be a need to add heat during the mash.

Larger batches and grain bills will be more temp stable, rdwhahb don't sweat a few degrees imo.

Well found a video of a guy doing what I was thinking about doing. Looks like it works good. I am off to Walmat to curtain shop!!

Last edited by a moderator:
GO AG, I just did my first BIAB. Best thing I have done since dry hopping in my primary.

It will open up a whole new frontier.

I've done about 30 batches using a basket in the kettle and I can't complain. That is how I started from day one. I used to insulate the pot and let it sit, stir it a couple times etc. I've been recirculating during the mash for a couple years without insulation and just adding heat when needed which is what i prefer now. I would recommend trying it a couple different ways to find out what works good for you and then refine that process to get consistent results.

Polyester voile fabric is a very fine weave and makes a great filter for keeping tiny bits out of your wort. It is also very strong so a basket isn't needed. If you have a basket and want to use it that's fine, but a basket can at times do more harm than good if it is under sized as the grain will only be mashed in a smaller portion of the water and may result in lower efficiency.
I prefer the simplicity of not using a basket. I believe some like using a basket because there bag is not strong enough or large enough to be easily lifted from the kettle.

Making a bag isn't that difficult, best to have a sewing machine, but hand stitching a bag can be done if you have the skills and patience. A bag should be large enough to fully line the vessel, and overlap the top rim by a few inches.

A draw string and cord lock helps to easily secure the bag to the kettle.

JMO's, hope this may help....

Not to stir a debate on the ops thread but, the concept of a basket resulting in mashing in a smaller volume of water doesn't make sense to me. I've read that thought here multiple times and can't wrap my head around it. After mashing in, the grains take on water and end up at the bottom of what ever they are in, that's why we stir, right? So if the grains take up a specific amount of space in a full volume mash there is always a specific amount of water they are not in direct contact with whether it is below the grains, along side the grains or above the grains I can't see where that matters much. If you consider that conventional brewers use considerably less water mashing than we do using a full volume mash I don't see how a basket can be detrimental. If someone could explain how I'm misunderstanding this I would welcome the information.

It's not really the volume of mash water used and occupied by the grain, it is because the volume outside the basket is not stirred and mixed with the grain after conversion to wash the sugar from the grain, reducing "sparge volume" of sorts and decreasing lauter efficiency. My b/c 11 gallon pot has 3" below the basket, a substantial quantity that doesn't get mixed and stirred with the grain after conversion to help rinse the sugar from the grain. Likely longer mashes and more stirring would help to move the water out and back into the basket, idk. The unmixed portion of water below or outside the basket will likely be a lower gravity, and is similar to, but not as drastic as topping the kettle w water.

I know user jonnyrotten used a basket for many brews, then tried without the basket and noticed a continued marked improvement in efficiency.

At the end of the day it is personal preference, I don't see any benefit in using a basket JMO.

It helps to have a sturdy well shaped bag that can be easily removed from the kettle. If one is using a paint strainer that may rip, or a LHBS square shaped bag that will tend to spill wort over the kettle rim, perhaps the basket is a benefit.

Some love using a basket, some don't see any benefit like myself and feel it's just another piece of equipment you can do without. Some claim the basket handle works well for hoisting with a pulley, others find it easy to hoist by the bag drawstring or cinching the bag with a loop of cord.

Some prefer vanilla, others chocolate. Cheers!

Definitely go BIAB. I got the bayou 10 gallon with the steamer bucket insert, it was on sale at Amazon. Ended up not needing/using the bucket, I figure less to clean, the better. Read about wilserbrewers bags here and on brulosophy, and ordered one to fit my pot perfectly. Why go to Walmartt, measure, sew, etc? Best $35 I spent. Going to move into garage this summer, so I'll have the ratchet thing, and it will be even easier. I think I'm going to use the smaller hop bags he gives you to flavor my wife's kombucha when we keg it the first time!

I have an all electric system I designed that'll do HERMS (regular or batch sparged) OR recirculating BIAB in a 44 quart Bayou Classic with basket, similar to yours. I need the basket or false bottom due to the electric elements. For gas, you probably don't.

I find myself doing BIAB more and more. It's faster. But I should point out a few things.
1. You can get good efficiency with it, but you need to control the grind. Needs to be very fine.
2. You should also control your mash pH. The thin mash will need different adjustments to your water. If you want great beer, go to the brew science section and learn about water.
3. Consider a cheap pump. The recirculation will help you with keeping the temperature consistent throughout the mash. If you aren't applying heat, insulate like crazy during the mash.
4. If using aluminum, learn about keeping the oxide layer on it. You don't want it shiny new inside, as I recall.

Latest posts

Back