Thinking about a Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just1pepsi

Reaction score
I'm considering brewing a tripel, I've got a weizenbier sitting on its cake right now, "Munich" -- Anyway, thoughts on reusing that cake as a strong starter for a strong tripel?

Not a fan of danstar's "wheat" yeast.... If you do I highly suggest that you wash your yeast.. I have never had "good" results from pitching directly onto a cake. My final product has always been better after washing the yeast and using a nice clean fermenter. Also, if you want a true Tripel you need a Belgian strain.

My understanding is that this yeast is good for belgian styles as well. What is it about this yeast you find unsatisfactory?

A tripel is very dependent on using the proper yeast....

You will not get a good tripel with that yeast.

My understanding is that this yeast is good for belgian styles as well. What is it about this yeast you find unsatisfactory?

I've tried it twice and eventually did a side-by-side comparison vs. Wyeast Weiphen. strain of hefe yeast.. the results were not even close. I got really zero wheat profile from danstar both times. Nottingham is great but in MY opinion their Munich is subpar. I used Fermentis WB-06 dry wheat yeast and it was a very solid yeast. These are all my opinion if you produce a beer that is good then go for it!

I would go with a wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey so you get a true Tripel style beer. I plan on brewing up a tripel late winter so its ready late spring :)

good luck :)

1214, 3522, 1388, or 3787 would be good choices.

I have used them all and they all have different flavor profiles. Different, but all good.

If you have White labs available then wlp500, 530, or 550 will get you decent results.

Beerloaf

If you have White labs available then wlp500, 530, or 550 will get you decent results.

Beerloaf

Yes they work.According to Mr Malty ...

500=1214
530=3787
550=3522.

I have never used those strains because my LHBS carries Wyeast.

Back