think im doing something wrong with my partial mash process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgonfan

Reaction score
I've done two partial mash recipiecs from ahs and it dawned on me during the process yesterday that I may be making a mistake. My first recipe turned out really thin and dry with very little flavor, even though my og was right on. And I think I may knwo why....

The ahs recipe says to mash the grains (approx 3lbs) in 2gals at 155 for 45 minutes, then sparge (1qt per 2lbs), then add 1 gal of water & bring to a boil. I do full boils, so instead of adding 1gal of water I've been adding enough to total 6.5 gals. Could this be a problem? Should I add the 1gal, bring to boil, then add the rest & start the boil as normal?

If you are hitting your correct OG at the correct final volume, then you should be fine. Was was the FG of the brew? What styles were you making?

Tall_Yotie said:
If you are hitting your correct OG at the correct final volume, then you should be fine. Was was the FG of the brew? What styles were you making?

And what kind of grain bills are you mashing?

Back