Think I ruined my first batch :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
Hello all, and its a pleasure to be here. Found the forum after searching the internet for home brewing sites.

I had a home brew kit about 8 years ago, but stopped doing it. My girlfriend just rekindled my interest with an easier apartment friendly "Mr. Beer" kit.

I got my first batch of Western Pale setup today and everything was going great.....until...
the last step! I had dissolved the "booster" product in the cold water, brought it to a boil and added the canned malt. I was stirring it all in keeping everything perfectly sterile, and BOOM dropped the can into the wort!

I pulled it out immediately and got two little pieces of label that fell off in the wort out. I put it into the keg, topped it off and added the yeast. When putting it in the closet to ferment for 7 days, I noticed two black things stuck to the side inside the keg. It looked like mold, and I hope I didnt destroy my first batch. Any tips/advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Yup Beer4breky has it right. I dont think the can would affect it if the wort was still pretty hot. The papaer might...might cause a mold..but not 100% sure on that. Best thing to do is taste it when your ready to bottle. If it tastes like flat beer...your good to go.

Good luck!

Ok thanks for the replies guys. Guess I need to wait 7 days to check the quality to know for sure.

Tom Petty had it right when he said "The waiting is the hardest part" :p

Back