Think I may have bottle bombs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triskelion

Reaction score
Its back to the beginners forum for me, after this blunder! Just bottled a half batch of kolsch using a full amount of dextrose to prime. Comes out at 4.2 volume of co2. What now?

I did the same. Luckily i bottled in Grolsch bottles so ive spent the last 4 days opening and closing (quickly ;)) the bottles to "de-carb" them. I put capped ones in the freezer until a little slushy and i was able to open them a ok. Tou could try the "damn near frozen" option...

My thinking is that it normally takes about 3 weeks to completely carbonate, so I could remove the caps and re-cap after 1 week and I should be good.

My thinking is that it normally takes about 3 weeks to completely carbonate, so I could remove the caps and re-cap after 1 week and I should be good.

Your bottles could be nearly at full pressure in a couple of days. Carefully pry one cap up until you hear pressure being released. That will tell you more about how much pressure you now have.

Your bottles could be nearly at full pressure in a couple of days. Carefully pry one cap up until you hear pressure being released. That will tell you more about how much pressure you now have.

Do you think releasing the pressure once would be enough? Luckily I have a few screw tops amongst them which should make checking the pressure easier.

2 days in the bottles. The plastic bottles don't feel as hard as if they were fully carbed. Safe so far.

Any time you think you're handling glass bottle bombs, wear work gloves and eye goggles at the very least.

Have you ever seen bottle bombs on youtube? Scary.

No but I've seen the mess and heard the horror stories lol. Still unsure of my strategy, guess it's just give the plastic bottles a squeeze and release pressure when they've gotten hard. I always use a few in every batch to check if it's carbonated yet. Also just realised that my kolsch has gone from 5.1% tp 6% with the amount of sugar I used.

Back