Think i have added too much sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berk2027

Reaction score
Hi made up a 2 gallon batch of carrot wine ended up adding 5 lb of sugar the gravity reads 1112 do u think I have over done it on the sugar or will it just be rather strong. I haven't pitched the yeast yet any help please

Yes quite too much. ABV will come in at around 16%, and it may literally be the most disgusting thing you have ever tasted. I would personally try to step it up to a larger batch.

Would that be as easy as to just add more water do I need to boil it first and wat sg should I be looking to start at. Cheers

berk2027 said:
Would that be as easy as to just add more water do I need to boil it first and wat sg should I be looking to start at. Cheers

Man I really wouldn't want to see more than 1.080 for a wine that you will be expecting to drink in the next year. I don't know how the carrot wine thing works, but I would probably add a gallon of water. No need to boil it or anything. Just grab a gallon of bottled water if you want to be sure.

bottlebomber said:
Man I really wouldn't want to see more than 1.080 for a wine that you will be expecting to drink in the next year. I don't know how the carrot wine thing works, but I would probably add a gallon of water. No need to boil it or anything. Just grab a gallon of bottled water if you want to be sure.

By adding a gallon of water, you also risk watering down the carrot. Even if you cut the sg to something more reasonable like 13-14% it would be better.

Get some more carrots and make it a three gallon batch!

Yes, more carrots for sure. Otherwise it's just gonna taste like carrot flavored likker wash

Back