Things you shouldn't do...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

The_Bishop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I finally did it.

I was doing a cleaning cycle on my electric system, and was at the end so I was pumping the cleaning solution out into a bucket.

I smelled something funny, looked up and said, "Hey, why is there a festive orange glow coming from my kett..." which was quickly followed up with a string of expletives that would make a sailor blush.

I had forgotten to turn off my element.

Shut it down and let if cool off. Before I went any further, I checked the resistance reading across the element, came in at 10.4-10.5 ohms, so that still checked out. No continuity from either hot lead to the ground, so far so good.

Looks like I dodged a bullet as far as damaging it electrically, but the element itself had burned on a layer of junk. Man, that took a *long* time to clean off. On the bright side, I got a chance to visually inspect every inch of it... No visible damage. Being as I had to more or less polish the element up, I re-passivated it in the kettle with 140 degree citric acid solution, then did a 15 minute boil test.

Looks like I managed to avoid destroying it. Still might pick up another one just to play it safe and keep this one as a spare.

DrWill

Reaction score
Repassivating after cleaning it off is genius. I would have forgotten to do that.

OP
The_Bishop

The_Bishop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure my time is coming.
No beer before the counter-flow chiller might help, but that's no guarantee...:eek:
I hadn't even been drinking! I was just rushing around and got distracted. All it takes is a second!

Repassivating after cleaning it off is genius. I would have forgotten to do that.
Well, we'll see if it works. The stainless was red hot, I'm hoping it's still 'stainless' and doesn't start getting rusty on me.

PSGD

Reaction score
I have a float switch in my Kettle, wired in such a way that if my element switch is on the pump will shut off and alarm sounds before the element is uncovered. It’s not totally idiot-proof, but eliminates the most common dry-fire scenario.

RocketBrewer

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a float switch in my Kettle, wired in such a way that if my element switch is on the pump will shut off and alarm sounds before the element is uncovered. It’s not totally idiot-proof, but eliminates the most common dry-fire scenario.
Why not use the float switch to interrupt the low voltage signal from your PID to your SSR (Making some assumptions here of course...If not using a PID and SSR to control, please disregard)? That would stop your element from firing if the level gets below the float switch.

I am a little curious how you get 1 switch to turn on a alarm and turn the pump off

Cheers!

mpmccann

Reaction score
It is a little ironic to read this today,
I accidentally dry fired mine yesterday to the point that the GFCI breaker blew. Not paying attention, I plugged in the wrong pigtail to the BK instead of the HLT. DUH!!! After cooling down the resistance measured 10 ohms and I did use it for the boil after a little cleaning. Guess I too dodged a bullet... I am worried about the life expectancy a little now!!!

Cheers

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Why not use the float switch to interrupt the low voltage signal from your PID to your SSR (Making some assumptions here of course...If not using a PID and SSR to control, please disregard)? That would stop your element from firing if the level gets below the float switch.

I am a little curious how you get 1 switch to turn on a alarm and turn the pump off

Cheers!
This is what some people including myself do .
I also use a flow switch in my rims to automatically shut off my rims if flow stops... for the whoping $10-15 it cost to add its paid for itself many times over.