Things you didnt know about your house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misfit

Reaction score
ok let me start off saying i moved into my current place of residence about 8 months ago. i havent really explored my 2 acres of land much but yesterday when i was drinking with my roomate and his friend we decided to play horshoes. now mind you i didnt know we had a set of pits till about 3 weeks ago. now im wondering what else we have that i dont know about, giant deck well i knew about that, huge grill yup knew about that, burn barrel knew about that... wait whats this??? two blueberry bushes? wild ground strawberries? and wild raspberries??

wtf now i gotta go harvest this stuff. now im wondering what to make with this new found stuff. should i ferment it? turn it into wonderful desserts? what shall i do! now let me say that i will NEVER brew with fruit in my beer.

ha with this area i would be very suprised if that were the case. its an upscale neighborhood.

i didnt say rich i said upscale. im by no means rich. i get paid 10 an hour to fix cars

A metal detector may work to find the rims of the mason jars full of cash that someone buried.

i can bet there are various metal objects back there. i found a golf club burried there. only saw the face of the club.

I built my house so I've seen every stud and shingle put on but the **** that was buried in the back yard that I saw when they dug my pool...wow!
1) Tractor rim
2) Circular brick wall (water well?)
3) Old glass beer bottles

Previous owners left a pile of junk in the garage. Not a big pile but big enough that I was annoyed that I had to pick it all up and throw it into the garbage - Annoyed, that is, until I found a fully-functioning Dremel tool in among all that junk.

I vote for desserts. Fresh blackberries and raspberries make great cobblers. I use Krusteaz Scone mix for the crust and mix the same 50/50 with brown sugar for the topping. Mix per instructions and spread in your pan. Then bake for about half the recommended time. Add berries and topping. Bake another 30 minutes or until the topping is browned.

Still not certain about everything on my country place. Most of the land is so steep, you can't walk around it, more like mud climbing it the winter. Summer-time, the blackberries rule. Got to put the rest of last year's crop in a fermenter, so there's room in the freezer for this year's load.

Oh, yeah - and also in the pile of junk was a milk crate. I cleaned it up really well and now I use it to stand my bottling bucket up a little higher on the counter. It's also the drying stand for my MLT and bottling bucket.

My father found a small silver statuette of a man leading a donkey with two baskets on his back in a closet of the house I grew up in. We took it to Tiffany's to be appraised and I remember the guy laughing when he took it out of the box. It was an old cocaine-smoking apparatus from the late 1800's, pure silver. He showed my father how the person would use it and store his stuff in it. Best part is, because of the pure silver it was worth over $2000.

passedpawn said:
I lived in Chadds Ford while going to college. I bet you know where that is. Not far from you if I remember correctly.

Right down the road from me. Harvested about a cup today for the girlfriend to put on her ice cream. Also took a picture of the blueberries

ForumRunner_20110725_184511.jpg

My parents bought their house when I was 15 or so and we had to gut out the carpeting and the cabinets because of the STRONG curry smell left by the former owners. Upon removing the cabinets in the kitchen, and the full tile back splash (from counter top to bottom of wall cabinets) we found the pantry sealed off. I thought for sure it was the mother in laws tomb.

We have a sh!twhack of blueberry fields around where I work and live. If you harvest them, the best method of storage is freezing, obviously. But if you freeze them on a cookie sheet, then put them in a freezer bag for long storage, you can take out only what you want without having to thaw out a big brick of berries for just a few that you need.

Can't say for the wild strawberries. Jam? As for the raspberries, I say jam for them as well. I went raspberry picking with the gf a couple weeks ago and we made about two gallons worth of jam and canned them. But I remember when we went picking. Every time I saw a cluster of raspberries, all I could think about was little red and purple hops. Made it a whole lot more enjoyable for me.

i think im gonna do a wild strawberry, wild blackberry, wild raspberry and blueberry melody wine.

We have a sh!twhack of blueberry fields around where I work and live.

jmendez, are the blueberry fields ready for harvest? Heading up past that way this weekend and thinking of stopping in the early morning to grab 20-40 pounds near South Haven.

Found out my house had hardwood oak floors until the last renter of the previous owner ripped them out and layed ceramic tile that is supposed to resemble wood, how tacky. they even walled up the what had been a fully functional bar and made it into a bed room, then to top that off they walled up the front living room to make that a bedroom. AHHHHHH!!!

I had a farmhouse in France once. It was 4 acres with an orchard. I had no idea what to do with all the plums, peaches, nectarines.......Now that I know how cool juicers are I want to buy it back!!

Get a juicer is all I can say.

Our property used to be farmland, still is actually just subdivided, but there are hunderds of acres of farm land all around us. Anyway, turns out the hills at the back of our property where the woods are was the trash dumping spot for I assume the farmer that owned the land many years ago.

We found an old carrage with spoke wheels but the wood long gone, 85 year old farmer across the street confirmed that. I think a whole car but deep in ground and rusted and rotted away. Old washing machines, old dryers, tires, timber, large rocks, toys, plates, all kinds of bottles, shoes, the list is endless. We have dug through a lot of it, but my guess the deeper we dig the older the stuff gets. Tree and bush roots make digging hard and it gets steep with a 30'+ dropoff to the creek. We also don't want to excel erosion problems back there.

We moved into our house a month ago and I was out mending our backyard fence yesterday so that the dogs could go out off leash. While working on the rear section of fence, I noticed what seemed to be large seed pods on the ground. When I looked up, I realized that the tree I was under was a very old, very mature pecan tree! I checked the GIS browser on our county's website today and confirmed that it is indeed our tree. Can you say pecan pie?

One more thing I noticed while taking the cat for a walk. We have a line for a dog to be on. One of those ones that go between two trees.

I still find weird stuff in my house and we've been here for almost 17 years now.
Among the "oddities"..
A blow-up doll. About 5-10 poop stained pairs of underwear (assuming it was a little boys.. found that stuffed behind drywall), old beat up penthouse/hustler and a litter of kittens. (those were after we moved in) Mom "laid" them in a bucket in our basement. We had no idea. A week or so later, we found them on accident.

YEARS ago I had a place with a ton of land. A couple of cars that were stripped to the frame (legally owned, not stolen or anything like that) may or may not have been buried in the back 40. I often wonder if the new owner ever found them.

Back