Things that you could have had made for you but decided to DIY anyway...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfluent

Reaction score
I'm sewing gdamn it! I've just completed 6 out of the 12 drapes/curtains for my living/hifi/home cinema room. It's tedious work but at the same time it's kinda meditating in some wierd way. I could have had them made for me but I as usual I just got this urge to DIY so I just decided to do them myself and they look great!

Am I the only one that DIY obvious "buy it readymade" stuff just for giggles?

H

I love projects--only child--had to keep myself entertained as a kid.

The only problem is, my wife came from a total "pay someone to do it" family. Every single time I try to do a project--even one requested or sanctioned by her--I have to fight for every hour of project time. Eventually, one of us will win the tug-of-war, and we'll either be a "DIY Family" or a "Let's open a bottle of wine while the contractor overcharges us Family" :)

But satisfying in the end.

Indeed. That's why I do it. After my last condo project allmost killed me I had promissed myself I would get a new, fresh condo/flat/house when I had to move a year ago, but then I found this condo and fell in love. One lady that had lived there her whole life -everything original but exceptionally worn down. F**k it I want to restore this flat! Now, one year later -a year living in a building site in total misery I can finally start to appriciate what I have created. It's satisfying... I used many modern materials but I also have painstakingly restored many of the "small" original features.

I spent several weeks just on restoring the doors and door handles and the heavy, solid qualty feel is sensationa every time I open a door to a room -they just don't produce stuff like that today, and I made it look so good!

H

I'm sewing gdamn it!

I recently started sewing too.

I just finished a G4 backpack based on the plans from Gossamer Gear. It's a frameless pack, with a ccf sit pad serving as a pseudo frame. It weighs 19 oz with the sit pad in it, and supposedly holds 4400ci.

It's the first time I've sewn anything since middle school home-ec class, and I think it turned out pretty well.

Back