Things that have fallen in your beer !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
The first thing to have fallen in my beer was when I was showing my two year old son the hot water that was just up to strike temp, showing him the volume on the outside of the kettle, then letting him peek over the top, and a HUGE gob of slobber rolled out of his mouth, and you could see it sink to the bottom of the kettle like honey. I wasn't about to start over so I just carried on.. It hadn't boiled yet anyway. Jack's drool Munich/Chinook SMaSH turned out great !!

What's the funniest thing you've ever dropped in a batch ??

Nice :) did everything turn out ok ?

Sure did! I was cleaning my living room and found a sock. There is a window from my kitchen/laundry area to the living room so I tossed it towards the hamper. It fell way short into my cooling wort in the sink. Turned out great.

My cat! I had just chilled the wort and was pouring it into my fermentation bucket when my cat got a little too curious and fell in. He quickly jumped out and after I myself cooled down I decided to go ahead with the process anyway, after I made sure there were no hairs or anything in there. Fermented it, bottled it, everything turned out okay. It was a success!

It was an Anchor Steam clone, so I named it California Kitty.

Spider fell in my mash once - in there the whole time. I couldn't find it once he sunk. I dunked my arm in post-boil wort thinking it was the bucket of starsan (both had white foam on top). Turned out fine.

The cat ! Thats gonna to be tough to beat - I also dropped a pen and Jack dropped a pacifier - it was into the keg post fermentation though and everything was OK

Hmmm. Let's see. An oven mitt. A screwdriver (don't ask). An entire airlock. At least, I assume it fell in, as it was in the trub when I racked the beer. A clothes hanger, the hose nozzle, a dishcloth (clean), and the lid to the keg lube.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I started using lighter bowls to add my dme after soaking myself in hot wort once...wasn't fun getting it out, either

Been pretty lucky so far!

I've dropped two different cell phones into two different mashes. No more texting the mashing-in moment. Words will suffice to document the moment.

just a rubber airlock grommet for me (knock on wood) but that happens to everyone sooner or later right?

I broke my glass thermometer in my chilling wort. Little lead balls and glass all in it. I guess it all settled nicely into with the rest of the trub and the brew tasted fantastic. Still have a couple of bottles left and so far, no swallowing glass.

My very first beer had some fall leaves blow into it. That beer became my Brown Leaf Wheat and it was tasty.

I was brewing with some buddies and one guy decided it would be a good idea to just drop the entire yeast vial into the carboy. It was an accident but good for a laugh.

Moments like those really emphasize the RDWHAHB mantra.

I broke my glass thermometer in my chilling wort. Little lead balls and glass all in it. I guess it all settled nicely into with the rest of the trub and the brew tasted fantastic. Still have a couple of bottles left and so far, no swallowing glass.

Wow I always advocate not dumping batches but this is one case where it would be down the drain for me.

I had a stink bug fly into my kettle yesterday while chilling my dunkel. Luckily it landed right on an exposed portion of the IC (above the liquid) and I was able to fetch it out. It did spray though as I could smell it, I wonder if any got into the beer. O well we shall see.

I can see many more of those damn things getting into my beers, they are EVERYWHERE lately.

Melted a plastic mash paddle in the kettle, once. Got back from answering the phone, forgot the paddle was sitting in the kettle while I was bringing it up to boil... and, well... Spoony Stout was born. Luckily it didn't melt into the wort -- the paddle was just absolutely wrecked when I pulled it out. Fun day.

I droped a plastic lme container into my wort right before boil fished it out when I was lifting it out thd labled sluffed off into my wort I sepnd ten minutes with a strainer fishing out peice of label we will see how it turns out

Not sure exactly. Will figure it out when I rack it to a keg I guess.

I'll let you know.

(re: Birdy Poo Brew) I think I would have done a good boil on it. And called it good.

MY KIND OF BREWER!
NEVER say Die!
I'm with you, but I would have made it an extra-long boil, to be sure!
Only problem is that if it really turned out extra good, how would you go about getting more bird deposits for the next batch? Brew near a statue?

man thats funny! I think I'd have just called it a Heineken Clone!

Anyway, I've only dropped the airlock in (came right off the lid while I was getting ready to secure it to the fermenter) -no biggie. Otherwise those little rubber grommets that the airlock is pushed into (on the lid) -I've knocked more than one of those things through the lid and into the brew. Lukily I have spares.

This is a great question. Let's see, off the top of my head:

- Ballpoint pen
- Crescent wrench
- Vice grips
- Dog drool
- Me
- Silly putty

Haven't had a bad beer yet either! (Or maybe I just have really low standards)

:mug:

bdeck02 said:

I'm no expert by any means but aren't thermometers filled with mercury which is:
1. Very fun to play with
2. Extremely toxic to humans

I came close to dropping my heavy marble mortar (or is it the pestle? The bowl part.) into boiling wort, which would have made for a pretty gigantic splash.

JonM said:
I came close to dropping my heavy marble mortar (or is it the pestle? The bowl part.) into boiling wort, which would have made for a pretty gigantic splash.

love the avatar....just saying...

I have an "I am the walrus" bumper sticker...hahaha

My cat! I had just chilled the wort and was pouring it into my fermentation bucket when my cat got a little too curious and fell in. He quickly jumped out and after I myself cooled down I decided to go ahead with the process anyway, after I made sure there were no hairs or anything in there. Fermented it, bottled it, everything turned out okay. It was a success!

It was an Anchor Steam clone, so I named it California Kitty.

Nothing beats the cat though! That was hilarious... California Kitty! Thanks for the laugh!

Last batch we brewed there was a risk of rain so we set the stand up under the garage door...part way into sparging we realized stuff was falling off the door into our the HLT and boil kettles...who knows what was in the debris...bugs, spiderwebs, rat crap? We figured we still were gonna boil so keep going! The Heffeweizen came out great...I called it Garage Door Heffeweizen.

Latest posts

Back