Things that affect SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
If I took a mead that was at 1.00 or just under, and I freeze concentrated it to say be under .990 - which is where my hydrometer stops what would be its abv ?
Is there an online calculator for that sort of thing.

First, you'd need to know the ABV before you freeze the mead. This depends not only on the FG, but also the OG. Here's one calculator for that.
https://www.meadmakr.com/abv-calculator/
After you freeze concentrate it, you could calculate the approximate ABV using the starting ABV, the starting volume, and the concentrated volume.

Concentrated ABV = Starting ABV x (Starting Volume / Concentrated Volume)

Oh, just the FG of the mead wont be enough ?
No I have used that abv calculator before. No, that is assuming if I did 1/2 the volume the concentration doubled. No, OK I have a mead that was just under 11lb honey in 5 gal, and it fermented to right at 1.00 as of yesterday.
I want to freeze concentrate it and say its .96 - is there a calculator that would take 1.00 at 10% abv and .95 FG and give me abv increase from 1.00@10%.
That calculator says 1.00 OG to .95FG is 6.4% which I know isn't possibly true. Cos then it would be 16% - which maybe it is true.

Never mind, its a good assumption if you freeze concentrate to 1/2 the volume you're 2X the abv. I have asked this question before and got the same reply.

Oh I have both. Let me google it.

i'll hand you a link to one...it's the one that calculates ABV from current gravity and BRIX..

Homebrew Refractometer Calculator

(it's an estimate, but in my experience...pretty damn good one....)

edit: just double checked it with my hard lemonaid...i added 5lbs 50-55%ABV booze to a keg, and an unknown amount of sugar from the lemonaid mix...but i got a SG reading of 1.005 and a BRIX reading of 6.5...so pretty much spot on....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back