things other than beer kegged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
i got my kegerator done. three taps. three kegs. is there something easy that i can make, or buy to keg for my non beer drinking friends to enjoy? my lhbs said she puts regular tap water in one of hers with some flavor tablets, and serves flavored carbonated water. any other ideas? just looking for some variety. thanks.
brian

Seriously. I could see if you had room for like 8 cornies in there, you'd start looking for non beer alternatives but not with 3. I could also see making a few DIY carbonator caps for 1-liter soda bottles if you want to create fizzy drinks or water, but I wouldn't dedicate a corny.

For any kind of soda, you'd need another regulator. The carb level is very different than beer. If you have a lot of people that don't like beer, you can consider apfelwein. If they want something non-alcoholic, point them to the sink.

Do a small keg of carbonated water. Mix sugar, koolaid, and a little bit of water into pump gallon containers. Voila! Instant soda fountain.

If you want to get fancy, boil some ginger root, brown sugar, and lemon zest and you can have yourself a fancy ginger ale. Just add carbonated water.

ir you ever plan on using that line and faucet for beer again in the future, be very careful of putting root beer on, as it stains just about everything. you will have to replace the beerline, and soak the faucet and gaskets in something like starsan for a long time to get the root beer out of it.

gnef said:
ir you ever plan on using that line and faucet for beer again in the future, be very careful of putting root beer on, as it stains just about everything. you will have to replace the beerline, and soak the faucet and gaskets in something like starsan for a long time to get the root beer out of it.

Thats why you put the flavors in little gallon pump-jugs and just carbonate the water. No problems and an endless supply of flavors that way...

Damn Squirrels said:
Thats why you put the flavors in little gallon pump-jugs and just carbonate the water. No problems and an endless supply of flavors that way...

i guess i'm not really following you here. what do you mean put the flavors in little gallon pump jugs? what are little gallon pump jugs?

brian williams said:
i guess i'm not really following you here. what do you mean put the flavors in little gallon pump jugs? what are little gallon pump jugs?

I'm talking about making syrups out of koolaid and sugar and a little water. Then, for convenience's sake, having a way of shooting out a pre-measured dose. Imagine a gallon jug with a pump on top so you can squirt out shots of syrup. I can't quite think of any use for the pumps I'm thinking of that aren't exceedingly obscure, but it's like the pumps for liquid hand soap, only on a slightly larger scale... Ever have a handmade sno-cone? They squirt the flavoring on top of shaved ice. That's what I'm talking about.

It's just a way of delivering a pre-measured dose of syrup. Then just add the carbed water and you have a fountain soda.

Incidentally, I don't have such a set up, however, I keep a syrup or two in a 750mL wine bottle with a reusable stopper. I pour about 3 ounces of the syrup into a glass with a couple of ice cubes and 9 ounces of soda water. It's a healthier alternative to store-bought soda... and it costs less for me since I don't really drink 12 ounces of the stuff.

i completely agree with the whole soda water and shots of syrup idea.

Does a number of things for you:

1. Saves your beer lines
2. Keeps your faucet from getting sticky and flavored
3. Allows the soda drinker to mix exactly how they like it

I always like my pop a bit watered down. I might use half the syrup an average 12 can/day soda drinker might use and we can both be happy with that setup.

Not to mention you can have 12 different flavors at once with just one soda water keg!

EDIT: You can also have this setup perfect for those who would rather drink alchopops than a beer. Hard lemonade? Two shots hard lemonade syrup, ice, top with soda water and viola! And the kiddies can have a grape soda right after!

Check here for the pumps. You could just use the quikpour tops too like you would have on liquor bottles behind a bar.

olllllo said:
I have a 3g corny.

I'm going to use it to try to carbonate whole pieces of fruit.
Bananas
Strawberry
Cherries
Grapes

hmmm, raise your hand if you would like to put a bubbling banana in your mouth? ;)

I buy soda concentrates in 500 ml bottles from sodaclub. One of my four taps is soda water, so half a cap of concentrate and a pint of soda water does the trick. I actually drink a lot of straight soda water.

Or you can make a hard cider, wine coolers, sangria, grape KoolAid, etc.

drouillp said:
i completely agree with the whole soda water and shots of syrup idea.

Does a number of things for you:

1. Saves your beer lines
2. Keeps your faucet from getting sticky and flavored
3. Allows the soda drinker to mix exactly how they like it

I always like my pop a bit watered down. I might use half the syrup an average 12 can/day soda drinker might use and we can both be happy with that setup.

Not to mention you can have 12 different flavors at once with just one soda water keg!

EDIT: You can also have this setup perfect for those who would rather drink alchopops than a beer. Hard lemonade? Two shots hard lemonade syrup, ice, top with soda water and viola! And the kiddies can have a grape soda right after!

Check here for the pumps. You could just use the quikpour tops too like you would have on liquor bottles behind a bar.

this is a great idea. how would one go about making a "hard lemonade syrup"? just trial and error, like mixing some vodka and lemons and sugar, etc, or is there an actual product like that already out there, or a predetermined recipe?

brian williams said:
this is a great idea. how would one go about making a "hard lemonade syrup"? just trial and error, like mixing some vodka and lemons and sugar, etc, or is there an actual product like that already out there, or a predetermined recipe?

Lemonade and sugar mixed together for a syrup, stored in a 750mL in the fridge. Add 2 shots of syrup, 1 shot of vodka, and top it off with soda water.

Why premix the vodka? Some people will want it stronger, others will want it weaker, and others will want to omit the alcohol all together. Just make a straight lemonade and sugar syrup and let everyone have what they like!

precisely!

if you want to just start of with some concentrates you could buy a couple of those and reuse the bottles. Or if you have leftover liquor bottles I would wash those and use em.

Make your own, they will be way better and you can honestly say its HOMEmade!

Start off with experimenting with some lemon juice, vodka, sugar, and soda water. Once you have exactly what you want just scale up the recipe and keep a bottle in the fridge with the kegs.

lemonade, iced tea (palmers on a whim), limeaid (my favorite), hard cider or punch!

possibilities are endless!

EDIT: I agree you don't really need to add alcohol to the syrup mix. Just have it handy (and higher than a little arm can reach) hah "honest mom it's just grape soda *hiccup*"

Back