Thin White Film developing on Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aiannetta

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I have been fermenting a batch of cider for about 4 or 5 weeks now. This is the first time I have made cider so still learning about the whole process. I used 1 Campden tablet, pectin enzyme, and yeast nutrient then pitched my yeast and after a few weeks moved it to secondary. This week I have taken notice of a thin white film developing on the top of the cider, I have included a picture below, anything you can suggest to remedy the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_1711.jpg

I first looked at this on my phone and posted that it looked OK, but then I saw it on my computer (amazing what a high def monitor can do for a picture)
I agree with Yoopers post below about it looking a little sketchy.

The ovoid clumps of white matter and oil slick appearance look a lot like Lacto.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Those while filmy chunks look like bad news to me. It looks infected.

It's probably because of the huge amount of headspace, as oxygen lets things like lactobacillus grow (it looks like lacto). I hope I'm wrong, but I would immediately dose with 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon (dissolved) and rack immediately to the proper sized carboy. Headspace is the death of cider.

Those while filmy chunks look like bad news to me. It looks infected.

It's probably because of the huge amount of headspace, as oxygen lets things like lactobacillus grow (it looks like lacto). I hope I'm wrong, but I would immediately dose with 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon (dissolved) and rack immediately to the proper sized carboy. Headspace is the death of cider.

Thanks for your quick reply, I have plenty of campden tablets so I'll put those in now, what vessel do you use when you make cider? I started with 5 gallons of cider before primary down a bit now because of the transfer to secondary, just curious as to what you recommend.

Thanks again.

If you are just under the 5 gallons that you started with then a 5 gal carboy or bucket should do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have good temp control and always leave minimal head space, and I don't use any campden tablets or a starter and i've never had a bad batch. The issues are really about head space in my experience. If you have to much space, try flushing with CO2 after any transfer and before fermentation starts. you want the yeast to win the game!

Thanks for your quick reply, I have plenty of campden tablets so I'll put those in now, what vessel do you use when you make cider? I started with 5 gallons of cider before primary down a bit now because of the transfer to secondary, just curious as to what you recommend.

Thanks again.

You need a carboy to exactly fit. Most 5 gallon carboys hold a bit more than 5 gallons, but it needs to be up to the narrowest part of the carboy, to where the neck is and it's about 1.5 inches across there. An inch within the bung is ideal, as that really minimizes any oxygen contact.

A bucket or bigger fermenter would be fine for primary, when fermentation is actively creating c02, but when fermentation slows it is important to transfer to an appropriate vessel with no headspace.

I started my first cider a week ago. It's 4 gallons in a 6 gallon plastic big-mouth bubbler. Should I be worried? Doesn't fermentation push out or consume all of the O2 in primary?

Initially, yes, that's fine. After primary, it should be transferred to an appropriately sized carboy. Since there aren't 4 gallon carboys, a 3 gallon carboy plus a one gallon jug would work.

So I have exactly what is described and pictured on the attached web page. I left the cider in a primary bucket too long as I wanted to hold off on buying another secondary carboy at the moment. I now have another carboy and plan on racking and sulphiting to 100ppm as recommended on the linked site.

My question. When I place the racking cane into the primary, should I be pushing some of the film aside rather than pushing the cane through the film and spreading the infection through the entire bucket? Would it be advisable to spray a little 99% Isopropyl alcohol on the surface just to give my salvage attempt the best chance I can give it?

http://www.cider.org.uk/part5.htm

**image not mine. Linked from another website**

filmyeast.jpg

So I have exactly what is described and pictured on the attached web page. I left the cider in a primary bucket too long as I wanted to hold off on buying another secondary carboy at the moment. I now have another carboy and plan on racking and sulphiting to 100ppm as recommended on the linked site.

My question. When I place the racking cane into the primary, should I be pushing some of the film aside rather than pushing the cane through the film and spreading the infection through the entire bucket? Would it be advisable to spray a little 99% Isopropyl alcohol on the surface just to give my salvage attempt the best chance I can give it?

http://www.cider.org.uk/part5.htm

**image not mine. Linked from another website**
Try to push it gently aside or use sterilised spoon to scoop up room for the cane. After racking add metabisulphate or campden tablets. The site where you linked the picture has good guide to sulphite use and how to calculate campden tablet use.

I would forget the isopropanol addition. The stuff on top wont be siphoned into the new carboy anyway. And its really the film yeast cells floating in the cider that you need to be worried about and which will hopefully be taken care by the sulphite. And remember to top up properly after racking. These yeast need oxygen and thats why they grow on top or near the top of the liquid

Altough you might start by tasting it first. To see if the yeast has already ruined it or not.

Try to push it gently aside or use sterilised spoon to scoop up room for the cane. After racking add metabisulphate or campden tablets. The site where you linked the picture has good guide to sulphite use and how to calculate campden tablet use.

I would forget the isopropanol addition. The stuff on top wont be siphoned into the new carboy anyway. And its really the film yeast cells floating in the cider that you need to be worried about and which will hopefully be taken care by the sulphite. And remember to top up properly after racking. These yeast need oxygen and thats why they grow on top or near the top of the liquid

Altough you might start by tasting it first. To see if the yeast has already ruined it or not.

I haven't tasted it but it does smell very appley. It would be disappointing to have it go bad...first time with an ale yeast. It's a bit of a departure from wine yeasts for me so I really wanted to see how it would taste. Currently I have another 16.5 gallons in secondary along with another 18-19 gallons frozen in the freezer. All is not lost! I picked and pressed to apples myself so there is no investment other than my time and a $2 Coopers Beer yeast packet.

Would it be a good idea to add a little sugar to get some fermentation going and put a blanket of co2 on the top in secondary?

Back