Thin beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuf

Reaction score
Can a final gravity at or lower than 1.010 leave a beer tasting watery or thin? Any suggestions on how to improve the beer?

My current batch of beer is watery\thin, and the only difference in procedure from my previous batches was rousing the yeast in attempt lower the final gravity. Previously, my final gravity for ales was consistently 1.014-1.016 and the beer was malty, not thin. I wanted to see if I could get the final gravity under 1.014 to see the effects, and I think that’s the cause for the thin taste. The taste improved after force carbonation, but the beer is still a little thin.

Here’s the recipe for 5 gallons:
6.5 gallons of water
6lbs DME
2oz Cascade (60min)
2oz Willamette (15min)
1lb Crystal malt
0.5lb Amber malt
8oz Washed Pacman yeast slurry
O.G.: 1.052 @ 78F
F.G: 1.009 @ 68F

Searching around I found some references on using maltodextrin to add body, but I’ve never used it before.

How old is the beer? I find that the body of a normal-gravity ale will seem a little underwhelming until a few weeks of condtioning. 1.009 is on the thin side, but not excessively dry.

You can absolutely add MD (boiled, obviously). 8oz in 5gal makes a noticeable difference.

8 oz? Wow, 2 oz makes a noticable difference to me...:D

Start with the 2 oz...if it doesn't add enough body for your tastes you can always add more.

I don't recommend boiling it in water though...use some of the beer...more water would just thin it out more. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. I force carbonated the beer ~2.5 weeks ago, and the flavor improved significantly in the second week as usual but it's still thin. I'll start with 2oz of MD and post back with some results next weekend.

Back