Thickness of silicone tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreLo

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I have just purchased a wort pump to transfer wort on the hot side (Blichmann riptide).
From the research I have done, it seems that 1/2'' ID silicone tubing is the way to go.
But I haven't found anything clear on OD and pressure rating.
The last thing I want is a tube full of hot wort "exploding" in my face ... And I am really good at being unlucky.
Any experience/suggestion on what could be the right thickness of tubing on the hot side?

1/2" ID and 3/4" OD!

You're fine as long as the tubing walls are 1/8" thick (thick walled), not 1/16" (thin walled).
Most homebrewers use the 1/2" thick walled tubing on the hot side on either side of the pump, and successfully so.

IIRC, the pressure rating for the 1/2" thick walled silicone tubing is 30-35 psi. Relax, your Riptide won't create anything near that.

Thank guys.

It really helps.
There a lot of 1/16’’ tubing on sales and I would probably end up with this.

No.
I would have probably end up with 1/16'' if you hadn't given me such a good advice :yes:

By the way, do you see any issue of using 1/2'' ID silicone tube with a 3/8'' ID counterflow chiller?
I know that reducing the ID will create some extra pressure (how much? I don't know).
Any opinion on that as well?

No.
I would have probably end up with 1/16'' if you hadn't given me such a good advice :yes:
OK, I get ya! Just wanted to make sure that essential part wasn't lost.

By the way, do you see any issue of using 1/2'' ID silicone tube with a 3/8'' ID counterflow chiller?
No, going up or down in IDs is fine. It's just the total flow will be more restricted with smaller IDs and then more so with longer ones. 1/2" ID is pretty much standard.
As long as the 1/2" hose slides over the outer ends of the CF, and can be secured with a clamp, it will be A-OK. measure the outer diameter of the CF wort tube

If the difference is too much to make a good seal (with clamp), you can get 3/8" ID thick-walled silicone tubing:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/siliconetubing38id.htmBut I doubt the smaller ID is needed in your case.

Most of us put quick disconnect fittings on those connections, such CamLock or Ball Lock, for ease of assembly and disassembly.

Back