Thicker Floaties in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vb4677

Reaction score
Brewed a nice Belgian Tripel a few weeks back, and bottled in 22oz bottles about 10 days ago. Been sitting in a closet around 65-70 degrees since then.

Looked through the 2 cases last night and most are crystal clear with a nice little yeast sediment at the bottom. A few, however, had a thicker, larger "floatie" either in the neck or coming up from the bottom. Sort of looked stringy and slimy...

I had 2 bottles more than I could hold in the case boxes - one was clear - one had a floatie.

So I agitated both of the extra 2 bottles this morning to see if it would break up the floatie and settle down. Both hazed up after shaking and were no longer crystal clear. I'll check them when I get home tonight to see if they've settled down.

Never had a problem with sanitation before (wood knock) and was pretty tight on this batch, too.

Are my beers ok?
What is likely causing my 'floatie' ?
Should I agitate the rest of the bottles that have the 'floatie'?
Should I just drink the clear bottles and dump the floatie bottles?
Could I filter the floatie bottles at drinking time?
Should I just RDWAHAHB ?

Floatie.jpg

Brewed a nice Belgian Tripel a few weeks back, and bottled in 22oz bottles about 10 days ago. Been sitting in a closet around 65-70 degrees since then.

Looked through the 2 cases last night and most are crystal clear with a nice little yeast sediment at the bottom. A few, however, had a thicker, larger "floatie" either in the neck or coming up from the bottom. Sort of looked stringy and slimy...

I had 2 bottles more than I could hold in the case boxes - one was clear - one had a floatie.

So I agitated both of the extra 2 bottles this morning to see if it would break up the floatie and settle down. Both hazed up after shaking and were no longer crystal clear. I'll check them when I get home tonight to see if they've settled down.

Never had a problem with sanitation before (wood knock) and was pretty tight on this batch, too.

Are my beers ok?
What is likely causing my 'floatie' ?
Should I agitate the rest of the bottles that have the 'floatie'?
Should I just drink the clear bottles and dump the floatie bottles?
Could I filter the floatie bottles at drinking time?
Should I just RDWAHAHB ?

Sounds like a couple got infected. Perhaps a couple of bottles weren't cleaned well before they were used?

The infection won't hurt you. You should drink them ASAP before they can taste bad.

UPDATE:
The wife needed some 'slug bait' for her flower bed... so I offered her the 'floatie' bottle pictured above. After a while I hear her scream at me because she'd opened the bottle and got one whale of a gusher. It smelled pretty unsavory and most undrinkable, so I'm thinking it was an infected bottle. I've since doubled up on my bottle sanitation (did 2 batches this weekend) and will keep a sharp eye out for floaties remaining.

Now, back to cleaning up the kitchen that got gushered...

Back