Thick or Thin Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goudaphunk

Reaction score
Normally I mash using the formula of 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. What are the advantages/disadvantages to a thinner mash? I've seen some folks who brew using 1.1 quarts of water per pound of grain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't think it really matters that much. I just use as much water as will fit and sparge with the rest. BIAB'ers don't even really pay much attention to their mash ratio. I guess if it's too thick or thin the ph could be off, but that depends on other factors. Too thick and it might be hard mix it up thoroughly. That's all I can think of. I've read about it affecting attenuation but not sure how truthful that is.

From Palmer:

The grist/water ratio is another factor influencing the performance of the mash. A thinner mash of >2 quarts of water per pound of grain dilutes the relative concentration of the enzymes, slowing the conversion, but ultimately leads to a more fermentable mash because the enzymes are not inhibited by a high concentration of sugars. A stiff mash of <1.25 quarts of water per pound is better for protein breakdown, and results in a faster overall starch conversion, but the resultant sugars are less fermentable and will result in a sweeter, maltier beer. A thicker mash is more gentle to the enzymes because of the lower heat capacity of grain compared to water. A thick mash is better for multirest mashes because the enzymes are not denatured as quickly by a rise in temperature.

Back