These hops are good, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramling Cross

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was doing a bit of rage cleaning in the freezer tonight and found these hiding on the door shelf. They’re at least twelve years old, likely more. I've lost track of a few bags in the past, but I've never seen one inflate.

Kinda cool.

I think I'll toss it back into the freezer and see if I can get it to explode at some point.

Attachments

• 9E984DDC-E6F5-4283-BF19-265A50F259D4.jpeg
    9E984DDC-E6F5-4283-BF19-265A50F259D4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
Cool! You do large batches like 1/2 bbl? You could toss 'em in with some fresh hops, see what happens?
Or maybe whirlpool with them on a hoppier ale?
Or... risk it and just go all-in on a lager or pilsner?
It would make a helluva cool story!!

I bet in the freezer... its safe. Maybe not much flavor, but safe.

If you do it... keep us updated!!

Double vacuum bagged? Is it both bags that are inflated?

Maybe just a failure in the outer bag and changes in ambient temp and pressure.

12 years old? Don't know what to say on that.

Wait another 9 years, and you can paraphrase Robin Scherbatsky: "I love any beer made with hops that are old enough to order a beer themselves."

OK, that doesn't quite work, but you get the drift...

Nah, these hops are too old for the great new packaging formats that've been developed. It's just an old fashioned cellophane bag, much like a bag of vending machine peanuts.

Yakima Valley told me a vacuum sealed bag in the freezer has a shelf life of 4 years. Opened bags, use within a year.

Back