Thermowell Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
I will test when I get home but.....

When using a SS thermowell is there an average of a few degrees that the reading is off since you are not immersed in the liquid and are measuring radient heat from within the well?

You know, I have ss temp probe, not in a thermowell, just through a compression fitting, and I realized I never tested temps.... That being said, my eff was 80% so I think it must have been pretty close ;P I do want to test the temps though, make sure I'm close.

how is the compression fitting watertight, and doesn't the fitting damage the temp probe?

Initially your probe may be off a bit but over time it will be right on as long as the probe fits snugly.

In my case, I ordered the wrong thermowell and my love probe was loose in the thermowell but it still read within a few tenths of a degree with my other thermometers that were directly in the mash.

If you have a stainless 1/8 inch thermometer probe, just put 2 small o-rings inside the compression fitting and the 0-rings squeeze into a water tight seal.

Linc

Back