Thermowell / Inkbird 308 how to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burndog

Reaction score
Seting up my Spike conical and wondering if anyone has comments on how to control temps during fermentation. I’m thinking the manual temp gauge is removed and the digital sensor is inserted into the thermowell.

Do I need to then pack the opening with some type of putty to isolate the sensor from any air that could compromise an accurate reading? Or construct a rubber stopper?

Ummmmm....you do have a thermowell to be able to put your 308's temp probe in...?

Not many people insulate it that I know of...you can put a piece of tape over the opening...the thermal conductivity of the wort against the thermowell and wort, in conjunction with the probe being surrounded by that usually is sufficient to give an accurate reading. Stopping the cold/warm air from interfering can usually be accomplished by a simple piece of tape.

Last edited:
I've never worried about that. By the time the very small amount of air got to the probe, I'd have to imagine that it would take on the temp of the surrounding wort.

arent the inkbird probes very long and designed to normally be used without a thermowell by just inserting this through a rubber stopper?

I made very long thermowells for my conicals with 18" sections of stainless line like a keg diptube diameter and just jb welded the bottom closed (jb weld is food grade when cured) I inserted the probe/thermowell thru a 1/2" barbed tc fitting and siliconed it (could have jb welded it as well) I then run it through a TC Tee and have the blowoff hose attach to the side port of the tee.
This works really well and since the probe is not going through the sidewall but rather straight down the center from the top the temp readings are more accurate for me since I use a cooling jacket and heat wrap which would effect any thermowells temp reading.

using some sort of conductive grease inside the thermowell will help with temp readings as well as reduce the delay you might have in proper temp reading without it.

I've never worried about that. By the time the very small amount of air got to the probe, I'd have to imagine that it would take on the temp of the surrounding wort.
Without thermal grease in the thermowell there can be a pretty large time delay causing overshoot between actual temps and what the probe is reading. Ive read a few threads here where people complained of this.

I was just planning the first use of this new Spike Conical. After removing the Temp Gauge and inserting the 308 probe it looks like there will be little external air impingement(?) possible. A bit of plumbers putty will seal things up and later, I may add a smaller rubber stopper just to keep the whole system looking clean.

And, now I have a nice Temp Gauge for the new 20 Gal Spike Brew Kettle I'm getting for Xmas :)

Back