Thermowell and keezer question, am I doing this right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakehoodlum

Reaction score
I have a SS Brewbucket http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/the-brewmaster-bucket with the thermowell.

Right now I have removed the thermometer than comes with the brewbucket and stuck the STC1000 probe inside the thermowell, and insulated with duct tape.

It seems to me that this might not work as their might be a long lag between when the keezer kicks on and the actual temperature of the beer drops.
My thinking is that because of that lag, the keezer runs longer than it should and the beer gets too cold when it’s all said and done.

Has anybody had this problem? Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Kinda. I dont know about the STC, but with my johnson controller I can set the over under temp allowance. So if i want my beer (in my brew bucket with thermowell) to be at 68 degrees, I usually have it set to +-2 degrees. So it will let it get to 70 and down to 66 before turning on/off. With those settings the beer never gets too warm or cold. Also, at those temps the freezer wont have to run very long to get it cooled down and wont over run your desired temp by much if any at all.

Don't over think it,
Leave probe hanging in the air in chamber till fermenter equalizes with set temp(air temp) or chamber will run forever trying to drop/raise temp over/under shooting the temp.
Then put probe in thermowell
Do the same for cold crash

if you leave the probe in air the chamber will kick on and off constantly. I put mine right in the wort, and have a +/-0.5 C delta for the setpoint on my STC. works great for me.

if you leave the probe in air the chamber will kick on and off constantly. I put mine right in the wort, and have a +/-0.5 C delta for the setpoint on my STC. works great for me.
Does the stc1000 have a compressor delay? I've been leaving mine in the air and then putting in the thermowell for years with zero issues with an Inkbird. I thought the stc had a delay

Does the stc1000 have a compressor delay? I've been leaving mine in the air and then putting in the thermowell for years with zero issues with an Inkbird. I thought the stc had a delay

yeah there is a delay setting, i'm not sure what mine is set to, i think 2 or 5 minutes.

Back