Thermometer through lid of Gott cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan1979

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon round Gott cooler for my MLT. I've been thinking of adding a thermometer to it, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of putting through the side because of fear of hitting it while I'm stirring and the potential for leaks. I was thinking of buying a dial thermometer with a 12" probe and an NPT connection and putting through the center of the lid. The lid is pretty thin there, so I think I could just secure it with a nut on the other side. I searched for this but couldn't find any similar threads.

Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

BTW, I was looking at this thermometer but would be open to other suggestions. I wish I could find one with a 15" probe.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=1nfx9&op=search&Ntt=1nfx9&N=0&sst=subset

I don't know if it's really necessary. I rarely loose more than a degree or two during a 60 minute mash so I have not found much need for one. I usually pull temp readings when I have the top off to stir. But that's just my .02. But, go for it. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I also agree with Gridlocked. I use a super old 40 gal picnic cooler for my MLT because it was free. I experience slightly more temperature loss but it's still not an issue. If you're worried about it you can do what I've found to work and cover it with a blanket. I've been able to keep it under a 3 degree loss during a 60 minute mash that way.

Back