Thermometer Reliability - Digital vs Analog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joftinac

Reaction score
Brewers: I'm looking for some opinions.
After calibrating my new thermometer in a 60/40 Ice/Water slush, these are the readings I saw.
In your opinion and from your experience, which of these would you trust in the 145-170 F range? Does it even really matter for homebrew?
What are your thoughts on achieving accurate temp readings on your mash or other aspects of your brewing processes?

2012-09-23 22.38.02.jpg

I would go with the digital as it appears more accurate than the mercury one.
The temp of you mash does matter as the lower the mash temp. 140-150 gives a more fermentable wort which gives more alcohol less body.
Higher Mash temps 150-160 will give less fermentable wort which gives more body less alcohol

I would go with the digital as it appears more accurate than the mercury one.
The temp of you mash does matter as the lower the mash temp. 140-150 gives a more fermentable wort which gives more alcohol less body.
Higher Mash temps 150-160 will give less fermentable wort which gives more body less alcohol

what mercury?

The thermometer on the right in your pic looks like an old glass and mercury thermometer.

its an alcohol thermometer

60% ice thats been in a freezer in the +10-0 range and 40% water is probably going to be closer to the 28 that the glass one is reading
until the ice warms up to its freezing/melting point and it stabilizes @ 32.

there is a difference between ice water and some water in a bowl of ice. I'd trust the glass one.

Will you be able to control your wort temp by 4 degrees (assuming they will always be different by 4 degrees)? I know I am only able to usually keep it within a 5 degree temperature span with my burner.

If the analog thermometer measures boiling water at sea level to be 208, then you can correct for your measurements linearly. Otherwise, you would have to painstakingly create your own correction chart. Given that mash temperatures for different body qualities have about 4-degree ranges, you probably want something that you can reliably measure +-0.5 degrees.

I absolutely LOVE my digital candy/Oil Thermometer. I would gladly sacrifice a deg of variance for the convenience of the quick digital read, the excellent pot clip it has, and the cover that folds down allows you to put it down on the table upside down like a bi-pod so it's stands up without having to touch anything.

4830313110700P.JPG

I would use the digital thermometer. It's easier to read, and it won't leave broken glass in your beer if you do something stupid.

Back