Thermometer recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic

Reaction score
This year I have been through 2 digital probe thermometers and my quick read dial just crapped out on me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either style?

Thanks

Chris, i HAD one of the probe thermometers (your top item) which I HAD used in BBQ. I used it brewing last time. Killed it.
goodnight.gif
Read on a BBQ board that the probe doen't like being submerged. Sez you?

My model says TempRite 35189, was purchased at WalMart for $15.99. I completely immerse the probe, usually up to 12" deep, throughout 90 minute mashes and 90 minute boils. This model always agrees with the other (black stick, linked above) one within 1 degree.

Certain models' probes are susceptible to water, as you know. Aquarium tubing is a DIY fix for this issue - I haven't done it, but there's a thread somewhere here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=45967&highlight=submerged+probe - see post 11 for picture of my exact model.

HERE IT IS: Bobby_M's writeup on silicone-ing the cord.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26905

Don't get the Sunbeam digital. Was woking great till it got moisture inside. Only lasted two batches.

Just picked up the Taylor at Tarjay

51GB6MSEDML._AA262_.jpg

Then got some J-B Weld

jbweld_lrg.jpg

Put a little to coat where the wire enters the probe. I'm figuring that the wire coating itself is fine as it can be used in ovens. It's just the connection to the probe that's not waterproof. So, with a bit of the J-B Weld covering it, it should make it waterproof for brewing and, since it can stand 600 degrees, good for my BBQ'in. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

I ran across a spirit filled thermometers for a real reasonable price. It cost me $7.50 for 10 of them. The only downside is they are in celius. But they go from -10 to 110C Which is right in our brew range.

for My mash tun I have put a small rubber washer on it and drilled a hole in the top of the cooler. It barely goes into the Mash and the rubber is easy to slide up and down.

I also used an Ace bandage and attached one to my Primary.

And it is not a problem to convert. Just remember 18 degrees F for every 10 above 32.

I also ordered from the same place a "Compost Dial" the range as evidently the range for compost should be about 95 to 125, and this one goes to about 50-190F. With a 2' probe.

Cynmar Scientific Equipment (Found out about them on this website! :) )

I have not got the Compost one from them yet, it was on backorder.

The cheap one are under Web Special and look at the bottom they have special "Wine Section". I only placed one order and was happy except for the back order item.

I have 2 of these and they are great. VWR usually has 10-15% off sales almost weekly

Traceable™

Thermometers are ideal for round-the-clock monitoring of semi-solids, air/gas, or liquids in incubators, refrigerators, freezers, water baths, and outdoor tanks. Useful in wet lab/plant areas and outdoors.

Thermometers may be placed anywhere. Easy-to-view 6.4mm (1/4") high LCD digits can be read at a glance. LCD operates in environments above freezing. Probe with stainless steel sensor performs accurately when under water. Records highest and lowest temperature readings over any time period. Reading updates every second.

Housing is waterproof and shockproof.

A serial numbered certificate is provided from an ISO 17025 calibration laboratory accredited by A2LA to indicate instrument traceability to standards provided by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Temperature Range: –50 to 300°C (–58 to 572°F)
Resolution: 0.1° from –19.9 to 199.9°, 1° elsewhere
Accuracy: ±1°C
Dimensions,
Unit: 4.4dia. x 1.3D cm (13/4 x 1/2")
Probe: 0.36dia. x 12.7L cm (5/32 x 5")
Weight: 42.5 g (1.5 oz.)

Ordering Information: Thermometers are supplied with probe with 3m (10') cable, magnet to attach thermometer to metal, suction cups and Velcro® fastener to mount thermometer on any surface, and 1.5V silver-oxide battery for one year of continuous “always on” monitoring.

010837.jpg

Bruscar said:
Just picked up the Taylor at Tarjay

51GB6MSEDML._AA262_.jpg

Then got some J-B Weld

jbweld_lrg.jpg

Put a little to coat where the wire enters the probe. I'm figuring that the wire coating itself is fine as it can be used in ovens. It's just the connection to the probe that's not waterproof. So, with a bit of the J-B Weld covering it, it should make it waterproof for brewing and, since it can stand 600 degrees, good for my BBQ'in. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

I have this same model and it's off by 5*F @ 150*F when measured against my calibration themometer. It's pretty accurate around 175*F and 70*F.

So I recommend a calibration thermometer in addition to what ever else you end up buying.

Hmm. Well, hoping that, since I'm not doing AG, just steeping specialty grains @ 150, that I'll be OK. Don't think I need the preciseness of AG. Also, just want to see when the wort is chilled enough.

Ordered this one today, thanks for the pics and the info
Josh[

QUOTE=SuperiorBrew]I have 2 of these and they are great. VWR usually has 10-15% off sales almost weekly

Traceable™

Thermometers are ideal for round-the-clock monitoring of semi-solids, air/gas, or liquids in incubators, refrigerators, freezers, water baths, and outdoor tanks. Useful in wet lab/plant areas and outdoors.

Thermometers may be placed anywhere. Easy-to-view 6.4mm (1/4") high LCD digits can be read at a glance. LCD operates in environments above freezing. Probe with stainless steel sensor performs accurately when under water. Records highest and lowest temperature readings over any time period. Reading updates every second.

A serial numbered certificate is provided from an ISO 17025 calibration laboratory accredited by A2LA to indicate instrument traceability to standards provided by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Dimensions,

Ordering Information: Thermometers are supplied with probe with 3m (10') cable, magnet to attach thermometer to metal, suction cups and Velcro® fastener to mount thermometer on any surface, and 1.5V silver-oxide battery for one year of continuous “always on” monitoring.

010837.jpg
[/QUOTE]

SuperiorBrew said:
I have 2 of these and they are great. VWR usually has 10-15% off sales almost weekly

Traceable™

Dimensions,

010837.jpg

Are oyu guys that have these still happy with them?

I guess most people like them and I have had mine for a little over a year. It is reading 30º high now and I am sort of pissed beccause I have handled it with care. Trying to get a replacement out of the maker because the warranty is done.

Dude said:
Are oyu guys that have these still happy with them?

I am. I wish the wire was a little more heatproof. I ruined one already (I think, it might just be the battery) because I direct fire my mashes, and I guess I wasn't paying enough attention one time, and the wire casing melted a little bit. Since then, it's not been working correctly. I need to replace the battery and see if that helps. In the meantime, I bought another one. I'm wondering if there's any way to sheath the wire in something a little more heat resistant, though...

Back