Thermometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadensdad16

Reaction score
Ok guys so I'm fairly new to the beer making. With only 3 beers made and 1 fermenting now. My question is what thermometer do most of you recommend? I have tried a couple different cheaper digital type with the probe and they both failed while I was checking the temp during the wort chill down period. Is there maybe some kind of reaction with the brass in the wort chiller that kills these thermometers. Weird that I had 2 fail while doing this. So now I'm stuck with the old turkey fryer thermometer. I liked having set points with the digital so I know when I hit certain temperatures. Thanks in advance.

There are some sweet digital thermometers out there, it seems like most guys like the thermapen. It is spendy though (ca. $90). I use the old glass floater, it is slow and a pain in the butt sometimes, but it is cheap, accurate, and gets the job done!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm using the meat probe thermometer as well, which isn't ideal. I'm thinking about getting one of those infrared laser pointer ones for ease of use and not having to introduce another element into the wort. Might be worth a shot. There are lots of options but one I found that was decently priced:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mastercool-52227-Pocket-Infrared-Thermometer-57-To-425F-Degrees/25522198

EDIT: On the other hand, don't listen to me. I'm just throwing out half-assed guesses. I guess you can't rely on something that only measures surface temp. Going to go check out this Thermapen that has been mentioned

I have owned many thermometers for cooking & BBQ & brewing. I recently sprung for the thermapen because I was tired of not knowing which one was correct. Ironically, the only 2 that agree are the $90 Thermapen and the $7 floating thermometer. If money is no object, get a Thermapen and use it for all kinds of applications. otherwise a floater is a good choice for brewing.

Check out the CDN thermometers. I got mine (model DTQ450X ) for less than $20 from Ebay. Very happy with it!

Thermapen! It is pricey but very accurate and well wort it. And it settles on the temperature in a couple of seconds. A cheap digital probe one that I have takes almost a minute to settle out. By this time my hand is scalded.

The infrared will only measure the surface of the wort. Not very useful.

My infrared thermometer is probably the best kitchen tool I own, but it's useless for brewing. Great for checking the temp of baby's milk, black/non-stick skillets (doesn't work on anything reflective or transparent), etc.

For brewing I prefer the cheap lab thermometers from my LHBS. Always accurate, no questions.

Ahh! I hadn't even considered that. Just assumed the surface would be pretty close to the middle. My bad.

The problem with them is worst in judging a mash. If the mash is not thoroughly stirred you might get very big swings in temperature measuring in places only a couple of inches apart.

Check out the CDN thermometers. I got mine (model DTQ450X ) for less than $20 from Ebay. Very happy with it!

This is what I was using before I got a Thermapen. It seemed like a good thermometer at first, but after having some recurring issues with high FGs, I started to question its accuracy. It read within a degree at freezing and boiling (adjusted for altitude), but the Thermapen confirmed that it was reading 4°F low at mash temps.

Lot's of folks use this model with great success. Unfortunately, my experience was not that good. I still use it here and there, but just not for measuring the mash temp.

Ahh! I hadn't even considered that. Just assumed the surface would be pretty close to the middle. My bad.

The problem with them is worst in judging a mash. If the mash is not thoroughly stirred you might get very big swings in temperature measuring in places only a couple of inches apart.

I use my IR temp gun for measuring my liquid temps. It seems to be every bit as accurate as my thermapen. Even with the thermapen, it matters where you put the probe.

Back