Thermometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
What thermometers do you guys use? Presently, I use

dial-thermometer_1__96292_zoom.jpg

Not just for my brew pot, but basically for all measurements - hydrometer samples, wort temp, etc etc.

I have heard that a lot of people use different thermometers for different things, IE, the one I use for brewing and then a digital probe for hydrometer readings, etc...

What do you guys use?

i use a few different thermometers. i really like the floating milk thermometer, they're pretty versatile for all temp reading. i also have one like you pictured on one of my kettles, but i don't trust it's accuracy.

I have been using the probe style where it displays on a digital base station. Has great options but the probes keep dying. At 12 bucks a pop for replacement, it is getting old. Going to just throw down on a thermapen.

Do you use this for your boil? Do you have a clip or something to keep attached to the pot?

I'm generally not taking any temps during the boil. I use it mainly when I'm mashing in, heating up sparge water, etc (I'm still mashing in my kitchen.) The read is pretty fast, so I haven't felt like I need to have it clipped there.

We use a floating thermometer with a few twist ties tied together to tether it to one of the BK handles. The hangman's noose on one end allows for height adjustment.

We use a floating thermometer with a few twist ties tied together to tether it to one of the BK handles. The hangman's noose on one end allows for height adjustment.

Nice idea! !

I use a glass floater, works great for everything - I can toss it in the pot, in the mash, whatever, just floats around and stays consistent.

Hey,it's cheap & it works! I needed one for her BB summer ale,& she picked up that one while our son took her to run errands. Still works great.

I like the idea of digital, but I also like the idea of clipping to the side of my pot.

This looks great...

3118Z4PEW2L._AA300_.jpg

41EDH7WXR0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Price: $21.26 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $13.73 (39%)

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Want it delivered Tuesday, January 24? Order it in the next 2 hours and 2 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
19 new from $20.91

Product Features
Digital thermometer with 14 pre-programmed settings for hot oil and candy
Signals with beeps and flashes when ideal temperature is reached
Large LCD monitor; splatter/heat shield; pivoting stainless-steel probe
Automatic shut-off after 3-1/2 minutes
Runs on AAA battery (included); wipes clean with damp cloth

I had a super cheap digital from Ross that was amazingly accurate, surprisingly. Killed it in a batch of pale a few weeks ago though, so I'm on the hunt for another just like it.

I think I'm gonna try that one above. I'll post a report.

Has anybody used a non-contact infrared laser thermometer in brewing? Harbor Freight has them on sale for $40 and claims a temp range of -4F to 968F. +/- 3degrees. I'm not sure they would be effective in the brewing process. Everything measured would be surface temp, I know from experience my initial mash temps vary throughout the mash so probably couldn't use it there. The aluminum HLT surface could be read as well as the fermenter glass/plastic.

I don't think I'll be buying one because it just doesn't sound like a good idea, but could be wrong. Anybody have experience using them?

Has anybody used a non-contact infrared laser thermometer in brewing? Harbor Freight has them on sale for $40 and claims a temp range of -4F to 968F. +/- 3degrees. I'm not sure they would be effective in the brewing process. Everything measured would be surface temp, I know from experience my initial mash temps vary throughout the mash so probably couldn't use it there. The aluminum HLT surface could be read as well as the fermenter glass/plastic.

I don't think I'll be buying one because it just doesn't sound like a good idea, but could be wrong. Anybody have experience using them?

I use a cheap one I picked up on Amazon for checking the temp when I'm chilling since I don't have a thermometer on my kettle. I usually swirl the wort with the immersion chiller and then take a quick reading. tested it with another thermometer farther down in the kettle and they were within a degree of each other.

I use these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009WE45/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

About 11 dollars, waterproof, and highly recommended. I have 2, both of them are within a tenth C of each other and within a half C of my mercury Kodak Process Thermometer.

I'd like to get one with a cord or probe, though, so that I can leave it sticking in the mash tun full-time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use one of the single stage aquarium temp controllers from ebay ~$14, had to house it in a project box and attach a cord but it has an easy to read display, its accurate, and I don't have to worry about the battery dying.

I have had one for years and love to use it around the house. The issue is that it measures surface temperature. In many cases this is inaccurate, and when there is steam thrown into the equation infrared are not even close to accurate. That said it is perfect for checking fermentation temps and just about everything else that doesn't give off lots of steam.

For everything else I use a really cheap glass floating thermometer.

Back