thermometer issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitz9001

Reaction score
ok i recently decided to test my digital thermometer against a old standard meat thermomater i had laying around. I was getting a sample of my brew down to 60 to hydro and to my surprise the digital read 68 while the standard read 60. So i boiled some water to see while one was off and they both read 212 at the exact same time. Any ideas???

You should also calibrate with freezing water. A glass full of ice chips and water (that's been sitting for about 10 min) should do the trick.

thanks for the advice but thats a bit outta my price range. Is it common for thermometers to vary as significantly as what im seeing?

Yeah, I have several digital stick thermometers that I written the temp difference on with a sharpie. Some are over 5 degrees =/-. I ended up buying a digital stick thermo. with a calibration screw. Really made a difference. Was less than 20 bucks at Kitchen and Co.

Back