Thermometer for Igloo MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could drill a small hole in the lid, then just place a long stem thermometer in there. It'd be easy to see, too. Or, it you're wanting to put a dial therm on the side, some people use those weldless kits. I know The Pol used a small stopper and put a digital therm in the side that way. That seemed to work well for him; I guess whatever method you choose, you need to watch for leaks.

I dont have a single drip during an entire brew session from anything on my rig. The thermometers are easy to seal with the stopper method.

Here it is, spent alot of time in a quandry over just how to do this simply and efficiently. What you see here is a 10 gallon tun, in which I drilled a 1" hole with a hole saw. I purchased some #5 1/2 SOLID stoppers, drilled them with a 3/16" drill (just so I could squeak the probe through) The stopper is installed on the inside so that water pressure only makes the seal stronger. Tested today with 10 gallons of head pressure and no sign of any leaks. $10 per tun baby.

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/

Pol

Signed,

The Devil

I dont have a single drip during an entire brew session from anything on my rig. The thermometers are easy to seal with the stopper method.

Here it is, spent alot of time in a quandry over just how to do this simply and efficiently. What you see here is a 10 gallon tun, in which I drilled a 1" hole with a hole saw. I purchased some #5 1/2 SOLID stoppers, drilled them with a 3/16" drill (just so I could squeak the probe through) The stopper is installed on the inside so that water pressure only makes the seal stronger. Tested today with 10 gallons of head pressure and no sign of any leaks. $10 per tun baby.

PolTavern - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pol

Signed,

The Devil

Good idea, i think i will borrow it from you. Did you use anything (silicone) to help seal the stopper?

No, I dont use silicone on anything. Those gum stoppers seal perfectly in the drilled holes. Make sure it is a nice clean hole, clean up the edges after you drill it, twist the stopper in there and you are good to go.

I have thus far remained clear of sealants, I use only seals and teflon tape for threads.

Back