Thermometer for Igloo cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew'n

Reaction score
How are you checking your mash temps? Wondering if it is worth mounting a weldless thermometer or is the short probe useless in monitoring temps. Thanks.

I use a simple digital stick cooking thermometer, round ten bux at any big box store. You can certainly mount a thermometer, but be careful, with a handheld you can easily move it around the mash and check for consistent temps....KISS

Thanks for the response.

So a question on the process. How much would I shoot for over the strike temp? Then add the water to the cooler and stir in grain. Once I hit my temp leave it for the mash time or check it periodically?

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

Save that web page. Plug in your brewing info and it will tell you how much strike and sparge water and at what temperature.

Then add the water to the cooler and stir in grain. Once I hit my temp leave it for the mash time or check it periodically?

Add the water to your cooler and let it sit for a few minutes to preheat. Add the grain, stir to break up any clumps, and check the temp. It should be right around your target temp. Add a little cold/hot water to adjust the temp to hit your target. I personally don't check after I hit my temp. Any opening of the lid will drop the temp.

Take this mashing time to double check your brew-day list, heat up your sparge water, and have a homebrew. Also, relax.

Back