thermometer for all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
I cant seem to answer my question with the search function so Im throwing in the towel.. sorry if this is answered somwhere else.

Im looking at buying a new thermometer to replace the glass one I broke last session.

Seems like everyone loves the thermapen, but to me it seems like that short little probe would make measuring your mash temp a little difficult (but thats because I was told you need a long stem thermometer to take readings at all levels of the mash).

Is this an issue for you thermapen users (or anyone else using a short stem thermometer).

any help would be appreciated.

p.s. Im thinking about popping for this one-- http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html

but wanted to make sure I didnt need to go for the $40 12 inch stem version.

kind of expensive for +- 1.8F accuracy....

i'd just get the 'pen. if you stir well the mash should be even enough temp

Personally, I run two thermometers, just in case. I've got an Accurite (Mainstays) Digital Pen thermometer mounted through the side of my MLT, and I test it using a remote probe thermometer as I stir. If one reads far different than the other, then I know I've got trouble.

I go low tech and use a floating thermometer. Lots of stirring is the key, to distribute the heat (and get rid of doughballs). Then I leave the floating thermometer in and check it after a few minutes.

p.s. Im thinking about popping for this one-- http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html

but wanted to make sure I didnt need to go for the $40 12 inch stem version.

I bought this one from Amazon. It was about 1-2 degrees out and I could not get it to calibrate. So I mailed it back for a refund and got a Thermapen - which I should I have just got in the first place!

I have yet to use the Thermapen though - it is packed up for Christmas. So can not personally answer your initial question. But reading threads on here I have read nothing but good things about it.

thermometers.jpg

Back