Thermometer calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a quick and dirty method:

fill a glass with ice and then the remainder of water. stir it around for a while and the water should be right around 32 degrees, +/- maybe 1.

then boil some water in a pot, that should be around 212 degrees.

make sure that your thermometer reads 32 in the ice and 212 in the boiling water.

The ice water method is better than the boiling method. The boiling point of water changes with elevation changes.

The ice and boil water is a good start. Be careful with the boil test though. It's subject to your altitude. Use a web site that'll tell you your boiling point for your altitude. Next I would calibrate the thermometer to something in the range of what it's for. Obviously the Mash being the most important. I used a very good thermometer like a Thermapen Or laboratory thermo to calibrate around 150f. If you don't have that use the thermometer you feel
Is the most accurate after your 32/212f tests.

good point. subtract about 2 degrees per +1000ft of altitude

so if your altitude is 2000 feet above sea level, water should boil around 208 degrees F.... etc

Fail... I have the following thermometer that states:

You may notice that the temperature range has been reduced from a typical 0°-250° to a reduced range of 50°-220°, this reduced temperature range makes the thermometer more accurate, and the temperatures easier to read.

Looks like Ill just have to test via the boiling method.

Latest posts

Back