Thermo-well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john langley

Reaction score
I have set up a 7 cu ft chest freezer as my temperature controlled space for fermentation, cold crashing, etc. I ran the Inkbird temperature probe and an electrical cord through the side to plug in the heating wrap.

I've noticed when using a thermo-well, the air lock freezes if it has Starsan in it..

I was thinking of using alcohol, would rubbing alcohol be alright ? or is there a risk of it being sucked in through the air lock ?

Would Vodka be sufficient ?

I've also noticed something odd.

Placed fermenter in the freezer with wort at 71°, and the unit called for the freezer to kick on. After getting a bit of vodka from my neighbor, I returned and was unable to open the lid to the freezer. Had to pry it open with something...

The three piece air lock was bubbling like mad, not sure which way air was moving through it but it looked like a boil and appeared less full. I know the cooling caused a vacuum inside the unit, and it's probably normal but are there any similar experiences out there ?

I've never seen anything like that. If you fermenting and it's producing CO2, it should pressurize the freezer not cause a vacuum. That would normally just push out past the seals.

What temp are you trying to ferment at?
Is this freezer hermetically sealed? Does it have a latch that locks it shut hard?

I've had that "stuck lid"/"stuck door" thing happen when I try to open right after closing. It's the rapid chilling of the room temperature air that sucks the unit tight (assuming the gaskets are viable). A few seconds later as the unit sucks air in through every leak the pressure equalizes and it's easy to open again...

Cheers!

Back