Thermo well & Blowoff Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So I have done the preliminary research. But I haven't really found a good solution and I was wondering if anyone had any other solutions that I may have missed. I just bought my Raspberry Pi and Arduino to control the fermentation chamber, however I want to get a thermo well so I can have accurate temps but I also need a blowoff for most beers.

Does anyone have experience with this? Once i have the temp controller does the krausen slow down because you are better able to control the temps?

I'm not quite sure what your question is. Are you asking if you can do a thermowell and a blow off tube? Of course, though generally if you're using a thermowell you need a double drilled stopper, carboy cap, or other second port for the blowoff/airlock.

I'm asking if people have done that. Im used to just having a tube that fits perfectly in the mouth of the carboy

Just figured this out myself this morning. i got some silicon carboy caps that have two nozzles on them. fitted a thermowell in one and the other is used for blowoff/bubbler/airlock. works a treat! buy more than one and set the other up with your racking cane and an air filter and you can prime the siphon by blowing on the end of the filter. or using co2. Very useful caps
no links cos I'm on the other side of the world

I've got these. My thermowells fit down the smaller port but depending on the size of your temp probe you may need to use the larger one. Or you could double drill a stopper like this.

Just finishing up my BrewPi build and was stumped as well.

I Haven't tried it out yet but here's what I came up with -

Parts List:

• 1-1/4 in. OD – (1 in. ID) PVC Tubing -- $2.41/foot (LINK) Only need a couple of inches

• 7/8 in. OD - (5/8 in. ID) PVC Tubing -- $8.26 for 10 foot roll (LINK)

• 1/2 in. PVC Tee -- $0.46 (LINK)

• #3 Drilled Rubber Stopper -- $0.99 (LINK)

• 16" Stainless Steel Thermowell - 0.305 in. ID 0.375 in. OD -- $12.00 (LINK)

The tubing is a snug fit but I found that warming the tubing in my hands for a bit made it more pliable.

2014-09-08 13.20.24.jpg

2014-09-08 13.21.23.jpg

2014-09-08 13.22.32.jpg

2014-09-08 13.24.10.jpg

Time2Brew's setup should work although as others have stated you can just use a carboy cap

hoseclamps.jpg

Or you could buy your own stopper, freeze it, drill two holes in it and use that.

Just finishing up my BrewPi build and was stumped as well.

I Haven't tried it out yet but here's what I came up with -

Parts List:

• 1-1/4 in. OD – (1 in. ID) PVC Tubing -- $2.41/foot (LINK) Only need a couple of inches

• 7/8 in. OD - (5/8 in. ID) PVC Tubing -- $8.26 for 10 foot roll (LINK)

• 1/2 in. PVC Tee -- $0.46 (LINK)

• #3 Drilled Rubber Stopper -- $0.99 (LINK)

• 16" Stainless Steel Thermowell - 0.305 in. ID 0.375 in. OD -- $12.00 (LINK)

The tubing is a snug fit but I found that warming the tubing in my hands for a bit made it more pliable.

Pretty old thread (see pictures above)....so how did it work out? Anybody else have thoughts on it? Looks to me like it would work fine...but what do I know?

As some have said, a cap would work...but I'm concerned that the narrower blowoff tube would eventually clog during an aggressive fermentation.

I just bought a two port thermowell stopper. I use the bottom half of a 3 piece airlock with a hose connected to the inner post of the 3 piece. So far I haven't had a massive blowout despite consistently using sizable starters (probably because I manage my ferm temp closely), so I can't comment about it's efficacy other than to say that that approach to creating a blowoff tube is not unique, so I assume it works.

Pretty old thread (see pictures above)....so how did it work out? Anybody else have thoughts on it? Looks to me like it would work fine...but what do I know?

As some have said, a cap would work...but I'm concerned that the narrower blowoff tube would eventually clog during an aggressive fermentation.

The setup worked extremely well for me.

Back