Thermo + Sightglass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slykwilli

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to get a HLT and a brew kettle put together from a couple of old kegs, but I think I have run into a little snag. I was thinking that I could get a 1/2" and a 3/8" coupler welded into each keg and that would be enough for a sightglass, ball valve, and thermo ... but I can't seem to find a thermo that attaches to the same fitting as a sightglass (unless I was drunk one night while looking up equip - I could have sworn they make one). So I guess the question is... do they make such a thing... or do I need to have 3 couplers welded into each kettle? One more question... on the thermometer .. do guys usually use a thermocouple or just thread the thermo into the coupler? Thanks for the advice :confused:

You need two holes. One for the ball valve and one for a T fitting with a thermo and sight glass in this orienation

Thermo (at least 6") T Kettle
.....................Sight Glass

Make sense?

I think I got it.. .so with a "T" connector the thermo probe would stick out into the kettle and would allow liquid to go around it into the sightglass right? thanks

Bobby,
I think that weldless kit looks similar to what I want. The only difference is that the kit has the nut and o-ring - I am going to just get the couplers welded into place to make it more permanent and avoid possible leakage issues. With as much info as I have borrowed from everyone here I would like to help out fellow brewers and purchase something from them; do you think your kit could be modified slightly to work for what I need?

-edit-
on second thought... I guess I could just take out the o-ring and nut. Is 1/4" the standard size fitting for thermo & sightglass? I was going to go with 3/8", but maybe I shouldn't.

There's nothing really "standard" other than the fact that most thermos you'll find for brewing are 1/2" NPT male thread. I built this combo this way since so many people want to go weldless rather than find a welder. Based on the length of my thermo probe, you couldn't add any extra hardware or the probe wouldn't reach inside your vessel.

However, I do have 3/8" fittings for sight glasses in a non-weldless setup and they are cheap for what you get. You can have a 1/2" nipple welded in, add a 1/2" TEE and 1/2" thermo, then thread in a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer into the TEE's leg and put the 3/8" sight in there.

Back