therminator + teflon tape

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just incorporated a blichmann therminator into my setup and am immediately curious about the typical means of sanitation. From what I've read, one of the best and easiest ways is by sticking the plate chiller in an oven and baking it for a while. My question...will the teflon tape I've used on the male studs melt under the heat required to sanitize? Should I avoid the tape and risk galling the threads? Am I overthinking? Is there a better, easier way to sanitize?

Much appreciated in advance.

The baking is really meant to get alot of the hop and trub particles out of it. There is some debate on how often this should be done.Some do it before every brew.I think its overkill, for me I just run hot PBW through it before and after each brew to clean it. Now when it comes to sanitizing you can either run the boiling wort through it (which I do) or you can run some star san through it if you have the additional pump. I take all my fittings off of my system and bake it once a year to get all the extras out.

Back