therminator sterilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
Is it ok if I simply pump boiling hot wort from boil kettle through therminator for a few minutes prior to "true run" through to fermenter for sterilization? I can clamp off the therminator output hose and let sit until open up for true run. Is all this ok? thanks, doc

The issue with boiling water is that it's not necessarily going to be boiling hot when it reaches into the Therminator nooks. If you happen to have a pump the best best is to recirculate your boiling water through it a few minutes, from both sides. "In the out" and "In the In".

Also - this can't be emphasized enough.. you need to clean it immediately when you are done with it. After you have gotten your cool wort taken care of the therminator should be the first thing on your list. Be sure to start by running "in through the out" first, then back again. Also, don't allow and hops to get in it.

I had been thinking that sterilizing in an oven would be a pretty good way of making sure everything is clean. 170 degrees for 1 hour.

I don't use a therminator, but I do use a CFC.
I clean and rinse immediately after use, and sanitize with starsan before the next use.

-a.

JVD X

Appreciate the input - I intend to run the boiling wort via pump through the therminator and back into the boil kettle for at least ten minutes. Cant imagine that it wont heat everything up by that time. What think. doc

JVD X

Appreciate the input - I intend to run the boiling wort via pump through the therminator and back into the boil kettle for at least ten minutes. Cant imagine that it wont heat everything up by that time. What think. doc

That is essentially what you need to do but you shouldn't use wort; at the very least you should use some kind of filter so that hops do not get into the therminator. Once that crap gets in there it is very difficult to get out. This is why I switched over to a CFC - much easier to clean with the same results.

Back