Thermawrap stopper problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
Does anyone have an issue with the soft rubber stopper that came with their Thermawrap heater/temp controller? I called Morebeer.com and they have not heard of this issue before. The stopper I have has to be jammed into the mouth of the carboy (5 gallon) and several times I have almost pushed it through all the way. When fermentation is over, getting it out is very difficult. I have to pry it out with two screw drivers...not the best conditions! It seems the stopper is too big of 5 gallon carboys, but it is a special stopper b/c it has two holes in it, one for the ss probe and the other for the airlock. Anyone else run into this?

Are trying to put it in wet, especially wet with StarSan? If so, that is probably your problem.
Try a quick dunk in rubbing alcohol and let it mostly dry. It should go in an stay put without any problems then.

I do put it in wet. Staying put is only part of the problem. How are you getting it out without destroying the stopper?

By trying the method I mentioned, you shouldn't have to bury it nearly so deep. That makes extraction much easier simply by using a rocking motion.

Back