There's rust in my SS brew kettle! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
So I was boiling some mason jars for yeast washing and I wasn't able to get to them for a few days. They sat in the kettle full of boiled water, with the lid on for about 3 or 4 days. I went to pull everything out and the lids had rusted! So, there's rust spots inside my kettle, which is stainless. I scrubbed with Oxyclean, and couldn't get them out.

Any suggestions?

BKF or Bar Keeper's Friend. You can get it in powder or liquid at Lowe's/Home Depot. Probably walmart/target too.

Can you CIP with BKF? I have a small spray ball and some surface rust, most likely from the manufacturer using a non stainless wire wheel.

With the abrasive in BKF, I would hesitate sending it through a pump. Maybe just get some oxalic acid which is the active ingredient in BKF. No idea where to get that, but I'd kinda like to try it.

Even through a stainless chugger pump?

Not having a stainless chugger pump, I still don't think I'd send any abrasive through a pump. I'm looking at oxalic acid online here and it looks fairly cheap. I'd think that would give you what you need using a pump. Not to say that BKF would wreck a pump, but there's parts moving in close proximity to each other in the pump, and with an abrasive going through there, I see problems long term.

I clean rust stains in my pool with vitamin c. Never done it on my stainless but you might try a test if you have any in the house. When my kids leave a hairpin in the pool i drop a few vitamin c tabs on top and the spot disappears.

However if you already made the trip to buy bkf you will have no trouble.

Jackjama said:
I clean rust stains in my pool with vitamin c. Never done it on my stainless but you might try a test if you have any in the house. When my kids leave a hairpin in the pool i drop a few vitamin c tabs on top and the spot disappears.

However if you already made the trip to buy bkf you will have no trouble.

Hum, I am going to have to try the vitamin C trick with my pool. I have few rust spots that the previous owner never was able to get out.

Latest posts

Back