There has to be a better way to drain BIAB over a kettle at mashout without using a hoist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jhenjum

Reaction score
I'm going to have to rework the bucket thing.

I tested it--propped it up by the bolts, with the bolts supported at their ends. I set 15 lbs. of weights inside (approx. the weight of a typical bag of wet grain). The bolts defected quite a bit, due to the thin plastic wall of the bucket. With a bag of hot grain inside the plastic would likely flex even more, perhaps even fail. I don't want this thing collapsing into the kettle.

First, cutting off the top part of the bucket was a mistake--I made it less rigid. I'll probably need to use another bucket--intact, so that it has the reinforced rim. I'll also need to reinforce it around where the bolts attach, with some sheet metal plates on the outside.

So, drilling lots more holes in another bucket. Yay.
View attachment 749217

View attachment 749218
I use a grill cooking grate that covers the top of my kettle and set the bucket on that.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you can find .090" thickness buckets, they are much stronger when hot. I use one with a 5500W heating element for a water boiler. I think most buckers are .070". Look on the bottom for some kind of marking that says 70 or 90 -- or I suppose 100. If you find 100's, buy them (I don't know if they exist)

moonjee88

Reaction score
Look for a honey siv. Mine is 12" diameter and has retractable arms.

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_145215310.jpg
    PXL_20220114_145215310.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220114_145222395.jpg
    PXL_20220114_145222395.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11

balto charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I finally tried the "BIAB Rocket" thing. Worked like a champ.
View attachment 753721

A long time brewer here, starting to fool around with BIAB so starting to determine my direction. 1 BIAB under my belt. I used a ladder to hold and drain my bag. It worked okay, not thrilled. So that broght me to this post, lots of interesting ideas. Are you not worried that the plastic bucket will start to melt as it rests above the boiling wort? What about warping?

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A long time brewer here, starting to fool around with BIAB so starting to determine my direction. 1 BIAB under my belt. I used a ladder to hold and drain my bag. It worked okay, not thrilled. So that broght me to this post, lots of interesting ideas. Are you not worried that the plastic bucket will start to melt as it rests above the boiling wort? What about warping?
I carry boiling water in a 5-gallon plastic bucket (usually 3 or 4 gallons) and it hold up just fine. But I made sure to get a heavy-duty bucket with thicker walls. A thin-wall bucket would probably warp, but it won't melt and shouldn't fail.

balto charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I carry boiling water in a 5-gallon plastic bucket (usually 3 or 4 gallons) and it hold up just fine. But I made sure to get a heavy-duty bucket with thicker walls. A thin-wall bucket would probably warp, but it won't melt and shouldn't fail.

My Igloo cooler warped when I put hot water(not boiling) to pre-warm it for my mash, thats when I went all stainlees steel.

OP
OP
MaxStout

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

It's not a problem. The grains are ~150F, which doesn't melt the plastic, and it sits above the wort on the kettle, so heating the wort doesn't affect it, either. The grain bag is done draining before the wort reaches a boil, anyway.

balto charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It's not a problem. The grains are ~150F, which doesn't melt the plastic, and it sits above the wort on the kettle, so heating the wort doesn't affect it, either. The grain bag is done draining before the wort reaches a boil, anyway.

Now it makes sense, I thought people left the grain over the brew pot through most of the boil. Thanks

OP
OP
MaxStout

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Now it makes sense, I thought people left the grain over the brew pot through most of the boil. Thanks

After, say 15 or 20 minutes, it's drained about all it can drain. The bucket rocket thingy is strong enough that I can squeeze the bag by pushing down with a pot lid to speed up draining.

k-daddy

Reaction score
I just transitioned to BIAB, having customized my old 10 gallon MegaPot into the Bobby’s Brewhardware design. Since room will be tight in the kettle for 5-6 gallon batches, my plan is to pull 2-3 gallons of “strike temp” water into a 3 gallon cooler for sparging. After the mash, hoist the bag, give it a squeeze, then place it in a food grade 3.5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom that is nested in a 5 gallon bucket. Sparge with the still hot sparge water, then place another empty 3.5 gallon (not drilled) bucket w/lid on top, have a seat for a minute, then pour the wort from the 5 gallon bucket into the kettle. Haven’t done it yet… hope it works as planned.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the kitchen cabinet handle yet? :D

Wish I had the pictures, but yes, it has been tried. One of the first batches done in kitchen that was not finished before beer-smell-despising-wife returned home, as much time in the middle of brewing was devoted to fixing broken cabinet.

Don't do it.

And wear sunscreen.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used the cabinet door again today to drain a brewbag. But I should probably mention that I never pull down on the rope to lift the bag up (using the cabinet handle like a pulley) because when you do that the door has to support 2x the weight of the bag. Maybe a little over 2x because of friction losses. I lift the bag and then tie it off, so the door only has to support 1x the weight. Also these are old cabinets so they are solid wood. (probably lumber-core plywood) I don't know if newer ones might be made of chip board or something with just a wood veneer.

Wolfbayte

Third Most Interesting Man in his Cul-de-Sac
Reaction score
There's always the Old zapap. 2 buckets. I with holes drains into one without.
This is exactly what I do. A 3 gallon food grade Zapap which used to be a pie filling container is now a glorified and spill proof collander. I put it in a spare brew bucket to collect the runnings and sparge to get my pre-boil volume.

Large (bigger than original Zapap) holes drilled throughout bottom and 1/3 the way up the sides. Gives me room to stir and sparge as it drains.

For added bucketry, use a third on top to squeeze the life out of your grain.

Easy peasy with less mess and even less engineering.

Attachments

• 20220421_174013.jpg
    20220421_174013.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Wolfbayte

Third Most Interesting Man in his Cul-de-Sac
Reaction score
i tried googling "Zapap" and all i got was frank zappa which just reminded me not to eat the yellow snow? WTF is a Zapap?

Last edited:

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
at the end of mash BIAB I open the tap and drain out the wort (pronounced wert) into a 4 litre jug which I tip into the boiler. Power on max and fetch the next 4 litres. Flow obviously slows to a mere dribble, if I am short on brew length I sparge with hot water - this does not happen often -