There goes 20 I think.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjhockey

Reaction score
So I finally got up the balls to make my own recipe.

What a night, on top of my NEW recipe I attempted to do a multi step rest, not a good idea I don't think looking back I missed EVERY target I was going for so I ended up trying to Decoc to get the right temp. This is where i'm not sure I was right doing. And could use some advise.

When I put everything into ProMash it said I should have a preboil gravity of 1.050 it was 1.049(This was adjusted for the temperature.) But here is the odd part in my mind after I boiled and chilled I checked gravity again and it was 1.039 WAY off the gravity I wanted. Having no DME on hand I guess i'm screwed and Pitched the yeast.

Anyway maybe someone can help me

5# German Pils
5# Wheat Malt
1# Honey Malt

1 Oz. Hallertau 60
.5 OZ. Spalt 15

1 oz Bitter Orange 15
1 OZ Lemon Peel 15

I mashed in with 2.19Gal 150 deg water for 20 minutes was 122
I then went to raise my temp with 1.31Gal of 170 this didn't raise it to 154 like I wanted so i pulled water and grain out and heated it to 164 and added it back to the mash which then raised the temp to 153 I figured crap good enough. I sparged with 4 gallons of 175 degree water so WHERE DID I go wrong lol.

I have a heck of a time trying to do step mashes too. I have no answer for you on that front except to say that most of the time they really aren't necessary. As to your gravity readings, there's really no way it could actually go down unless you somehow removed sugars. My guess is your initial pre-boil reading was incorrect for some reason.

1.039 should be a nice session beer at least, I would call it a success! :mug:

Maybe someone around the Toledo area would let me sit in/help on a session with a multi step/decoc so I can actually see whats going on, unfortunaly that is the way I learn the best.

At 1.039 and with your ingredient list, I think it looks mighty tasty. Maybe you just (unintentionally) created your new house brew. Give it some time. :D

Back