The wonders of time... and homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scutiger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So last year, August 1st to be exact, I brewed up a 5 gallon batch of hefeweizen. Thought it was pretty awesome myself and it was nice and cloudy, just like it should be. Now I also like to savor my beers because I'm stuck with the mindset of every batch is one of a kind. That what I'm drinking, will never exist exactly as it is now ever again (think about it for a moment, and let that thought sink in). So I always end up keeping a few beers from every batch, and it makes me sad when I finally do drink the very last one. Anyway, now to my point, I popped open one of my hefeweizens earlier, and after just over a year (probably less than that but whatever) and after a careful pour, it turned into a kristalweizen, that is a very crystal clear wheat beer. I thought it was pretty cool so I savored the moment, and drank the first couple sips, then said "I like my hefeweizen" so I shook the sediment at the bottom of the bottle and dumped in straight in and bam, instant hefeweiss, just like I remember. Anyway, just felt like sharing this moment.

And if there is a lesson in all of this, it's that beer just needs time to clear up. If your homebrew is too cloudy, give it time (sometimes a very long time), gravity will do it's job. It will clear up.

Back