The uneducated beer snob...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MBasile

Reaction score
So I was at BJ's last night with some coworkers and their friends. One coworker tells her friend that I make beer, so he strikes up a conversation.

Me: "Yeah, I'm making a pilsner next. I want something besides pale ales, IPA's, and my other usual strong stuff for my summer BBQ."
UBS: "Bleh, the strong ones are not my cup of tea. It isn't the bitterness I don't like, but the hop flavor itself. You know, that noble hop flavor, I just can't do it. Sierra Nevada, no thanks. Pale ales, no way."

At that point I turned back to my pizza and Arrogant Bastard.

Reaction score
We all have to start somewhere. I had a guy once ask me to try the "Oktoberfest" he was drinking at a local brewpub in St Charles. It was a spiced pumpkin ale.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It's dumbfounding how many people you find that do not know if the knowledge they are spreading is correct, and not just with beer. It usually happens in the middle of the conversation when you discover that person has no clue what they are rambling on about. Ever heard of "old wive's tales"? Same thing...generations of incorrect information. Don't eat before swimming is a good example. And this:

People just like to think they are smart or something. I KNOW I'm smart, so I don't have this problem :D

slowbie

Reaction score
It usually happens in the middle of the conversation when you discover that person has no clue what they are rambling on about.
Between this sentence and the fact that you included xkcd, I had to post this:

Although I don't advocate mocking people too badly about stuff like that, it's hard to portray how much arrogance they're saying this stuff with when you're writing it over the internet. If they're being too much of a know-it-all and trying to make me look dumb or impress me with their knowledge I wouldn't hesitate to embarrass someone a little bit. And even if they're not being annoying or arrogant I have no problem with laughing about these stories with people who know better later as long as it doesn't get back to the person who said it.

That's why this thread is one of my favorites on this forum: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/stupidest-comment-your-beer-54730/

Pilgarlic

Reaction score
People tend to speak with authority of things they know little about. They accept and repeat without question what they've heard. We tend to be most aware of this when we hear them talking about something we actually know something about, of course. But, really, most everyday conversation is two or more people talking with apparent authority about something none of them knows anything about. How often I wish there were a viable alternative to people.