The top popped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
So, i brewed up a batch last Wednesday (30JAN). On thursday night, at about 5pm, there was some steady bubbles (1 every 10 seconds) in the airlock. Well, i just got home (Sunday, Feb 3rd) and the lid to my fermenter was pryed open and there was krausen specks all over my washing machine. I am not sure when the explosion happened but there was some beer ontop of the lid that was still in liquid form that had not dryed up yet, which leads me to believe this happened sometime early sunday or late saturday. So, my question is, what are the chances this batch is hosed? OG was 1.054 and the reading i just took was 1.012 so fermentation is about done. The beer tastes and smells fine as of now. Anyone had this happen before?

Redskins838892 said:
So, i brewed up a batch last Wednesday (30JAN). On thursday night, at about 5pm, there was some steady bubbles (1 every 10 seconds) in the airlock. Well, i just got home (Sunday, Feb 3rd) and the lid to my fermenter was pryed open and there was krausen specks all over my washing machine. I am not sure when the explosion happened but there was some beer ontop of the lid that was still in liquid form that had not dryed up yet, which leads me to believe this happened sometime early sunday or late saturday. So, my question is, what are the chances this batch is hosed? OG was 1.054 and the reading i just took was 1.012 so fermentation is about done. The beer tastes and smells fine as of now. Anyone had this happen before?

its fine...don't sweat it.

Thats what i figured. Just wanted to see if i had anything to worry about since the lid was off for a few days. I cleaned the krausen explosion and relaxed, and just poured a homebrew.

Doesn't count as an explosion if you don't have to mop the ceiling. Since the lid didn't come all the way off, shouldn't be any problems as long as it didn't over-heat.

Back