The Secret to Big Hop Aroma and Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've hop bursted before, but am still up in the air about whether it was any better. One thing for sure, I used a lot more hops. I'd like to hear from someone who does this successfully.

Wasn't one of Jamil's other "secrets" the whole whirlpool immersion chiller thing? The idea that by cooling the entire mass of the boil more quickly, the "aroma" of the late hop additions got "sealed in", rather than taking 10 or 15 minutes to drain off the kettle through a plate/counterflow chiller ?

Which would really mess up the whole no-chill thing wouldn't it??

I think I will try this with my Wooden Indian Brown as it seems to be missing something - maybe bourbon oaking but maybe I'll move the bittering hops from 60 minutes to 40 minutes.

WoodenIndianBrownWEB.jpg

I bought the specialty grains for that recipe a few weeks ago and have not got around to brewing it. Hopefully later this week and if I can remember I will post about it down the road a bit.

samc - which recipe?? this from what I've been told is my best brew ever but needs more of a malt backbone in my opinion. I've never used German Pilsen Malt before -

4 oz of 3 different hops - but this is off topic.

Read up on the no-chill thread. There was lots of talk about moving the timing of hop additions & there is even a chart giving you approximate equivalents if you do a no-chill method vs. the normal recipe addition times.

The good news was that dry hopping didn't require any changes.

samc - which recipe?? this from what I've been told is my best brew ever but needs more of a malt backbone in my opinion. I've never used German Pilsen Malt before -

4 oz of 3 different hops - but this is off topic.

Evil Twin from Mr. Malty article.

Back