The science behind the mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
I am contemplating moving to no sparge mashing and realized if I did move over to it, I would be doing so not based on any sort of reason outside of others comments and maybe the need to constantly refine a process regardless if you should.

I was hoping to get some resources to read that actually explain what happens in the mash process at certain temperatures and then the difference between using a recommended ratio of water to grain and a full volume no sparge.

Thanks in advance to any places you can point me to that explain the scientific thought behind the processes or if you attempt to explain it to me.

Jeff

I am contemplating moving to no sparge mashing and realized if I did move over to it, I would be doing so not based on any sort of reason outside of others comments and maybe the need to constantly refine a process regardless if you should.

I was hoping to get some resources to read that actually explain what happens in the mash process at certain temperatures and then the difference between using a recommended ratio of water to grain and a full volume no sparge.

Thanks in advance to any places you can point me to that explain the scientific thought behind the processes or if you attempt to explain it to me.

Jeff
Hi Jeff. I think this is a good place to start. Ed
:mug:

BrewStrong podcast Part One Posted 5-11-15.
Part Two Posted 5-25-15.

Not sure how relevant it is to the specifics of no-sparge, but it goes into a lot of mash theory. It is one of the brewing podcasts that I downloaded because I find myself needing to go back and check something a few times per year.

Back