The same yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I am going to try a clone recipe for bells two heated.. I started a culture of the yeast to use for the brew.. I got the yeast from bells pale ale also.( in seperate starters of course) The yaest from the pale ale looks like it is starting back up better than my two hearted sample.. I guess I am wondering if you guys/gals had any input on whether it could be the same yeast strain used to make both beers... in that case I could use which ever starter looked the best at brewtimw.:)

99.8% sure its the same strain. It is normally a good idea to culture yeast from the lowers alcohol/hop beer from a given brewery, so no suprise the pale is doing better than the IPA. Good luck.

thanks. the pale ale has started to culture already but it looks like the two hearted sample is also about to go. The only thing I am worried about is some sort of contamination to the yeast and I end up with somthin funky to make my beer with. Hope it will be okay. I also have a vile of california 5 from white labs and wyeast 1056 american ale....... would I be better off using one of those? (probally the cali.):mug:

I don't find the Bell's yeast to be particularly distinct, especially in a hopped up beer like Two hearted I would just go with the commercial yeast. If your culture smells/looks good though most likely you'd be fine using it.

Back