The Reliability Of People Wanting To Learn How To Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HAHAHAHAHAHHA.. way to throw down Llama. I gotta agree with you both.

We are different. Something else is driving us to brew because it probably isn't worth it when you look at it financially and probably isn't worth the investment of time either but that doesn't change the fact that we love it. The exact type of person who would want to brew would want to learn how to cook delicious food.

Let's face it folks... we ARE freaks and we revel in that fact.

I'll agree with this. I know a bunch of people here have said that they enjoy the brewing even more than the drinking really. I don't just brew the beer so that I can drink it when its done.

You couldn't be more wrong about everything if you were French. If someone brought me a plate of home cooked food that just blew my mind, I would be more than happy to show up at their doorstep at 5 AM, required ingredients in hand, in order to learn how they did it. Sure, I can go eat food at a restaurant, but learning how to make food that's as good as, or better than, what can be had at expensive restaurants would thrill me.

Also, if your beer is only as good as what you can buy at the store, it's time to step up your game.

Now, get over that and enjoy your craft.

Sometimes I have a hard time seprating brew from cook/bake and maybe that's not a bad thing. I find that being in the advanced stages of cooking, brewing is fun/non-harrowing and actually pretty easy. I've just done my first 2 AG with no issue after 4 batches of extract/partial mash. No doubt I have lots to learn but definitely the precepts are similar. Take a woman who has been making bread, cakes, souffles and more from scratch (ehhhh feeding a family?) and a brew is not exactly...err...intimidating. It's fun. Just another recipe and another hurdle to pass.

I could teach any sister/mother-in-law/aunt in my family to brew no problem, it's the ones who don't love it who won't be taught, who won't bother.

I think there definitely IS AN INVESTMENT compared to buying microbrew from the local beer distributuor and most people who express interest don't follow through.

I personally would rather brew alone than with company.

What I need is a brew dwarf that lives under the in a cave under the house.

"Fuggles!"
"Yes Master?"
"Pass me my mash paddle"
"Right away master!"
I shew him away with a look.

"Fuggles!"
"Master?"
"Pass me my hand held thermometer! Be quick now!"
"Yes Master!!"

And so on.

I get distracted when I have "help" and usually frack something up. But there definitely times I could use a hand for a couple of minutes.
Also, when having someone over to "help" we usually end up drinking a few during the mash which leads to more f'ups or me getting tired. Usually they bail long before the boil is over anyway. And Damn it! I should be able to cuss and swear at while the beer is boiling over cause I was on HBT and as you all know the damn pot only boils over when you turn to look at the screen.

On Monday. All was in hand. I grabbed the only beer I bought for the occasion (no HB and it was an imported pint) and as I was cracking it.. like as in just the pressure release, the can wasn't even really open yet, that's when I hear the shhhoosz of a BO!

Hmm.... A (possibly) fictional story involving a mad brewer and his Igorish assistant... I smell the potential wafting from this possibility like the floral aroma of a newly-opened sachet of Centennial hops!

I imagine a cross between Young Frankenstein, Dr. Horrible, and This Forum! (oh, darn, that means I'd owe each of you a cut of the royalties...)

But it could work. It could work...

I could not agree more... For me, brewing is VERY Zen, and having someone else around asking questions, etc, is distracting and kind of ruins my brewing experience.

I've found this to be true as well, but I have one buddy that's brewed with me at least a dozen times though. He knows my processes and knows what to do (he's brewed on his own a few times and would do so more often if he had the time), so it's actually enjoyable to brew with him. We can have a few beers and shoot the bull and still get done what needs to be done and do it in a timely manner.

I've had some people "Totally wanna come over next time" I brew, so I say sure. Shoot them a text half an hour before I heat the strike water. They show up as Im heating for my boil, maybe.

What gets me is when my roommate talks about "our beer"

I've asked him before what part he took in the brewing, other than walking through the kitchen a few time. He remembers that for maybe 2 weeks.

There are a few reasons to brew; The Craftsmanship, the Science, the Economics, the Image, the Taste.

The Image people think it sounds cool (beer!), though seem the most likely to drop out when the work comes round. Most people fall here.

The Economics people either realize they're insane, or go down the DIY path. Even then, this tends to be more a Rationale for SWMBO.

For The Craftsmanship! people get their satisfaction by doing something tangible. Also big DIY'ers, usually the first to go all-grain.

For The Science! people get a pretty large space for experiments. Can easily get caught up in water chemistry, or yeast propagation, or any single facet, never to be seen again.

For the Taste! people, they do it for the freshest, hoppiest, Maltiest, Biggest beers you can find anywhere.

Usually, we are a mix of these. The ones who stick with it, do it for more than the opportunity to tell people about brewing. We do it for the Taste!, the Science!, the Craftsmanship!

Many people are interested in free beer. Once they realize there are expenses and work involved, no. I did a Teach a Friend to Brew day a couple years ago, zero attendance. Just the owner of the place where I did the brew and myself.

I learned a long time ago not to try to win people over to my various hobbies like some sort of missionary. That includes sometimes just not bringing them up at all.

I have a similar problem, except it's with the wife. Her dad started brewing, and all of a sudden it's the greatest idea ever....even though I have brought it up on numerous occasions over the past year; each time to only get 'the look'!

So she thought it would be a good hobby that we can start together, as we have out separate hobbies. That lasted about 10min. in the LHBS, when she realized this was way more involved than she was thinking it to be. She got that glazed over look, and I proceeded to spend ~45min browsing around only to walk out with two boxes - a beer-making kit and a recipe kit (should have taken 2 minutes).

I guess she reasoned with herself to at least give it a try on brew day.....I noticed that she wasn't standing behind me after a few minutes. I found her on the other side of the house cleaning a bathroom!

At least she enjoys doing the bottling, all I have to do is rack and cap......so all is not lost I guess.

Later,

I dunno - I guess I just take a laid back attitude about it... which fits my brewing style as well. RDWHAHB fits me to a "T." I might mention I'm brewing to a few people and if they show great, if not - still great. I don't make special plans or arrangements for people to come over when I brew so I'm not out anything if they don't show. Usually I end up brewing on a day's notice so not enough time for complex plans anyway... I can see how if you set up something for teaching and they didn't show it could be annoying though.

I learned a long time ago not to try to win people over to my various hobbies like some sort of missionary. That includes sometimes just not bringing them up at all.

This is my experience, too. I have three hobbies:
1. An older car
2. My home stereo (I've built my own tube amplifiers and speakers, have both digital and vinyl front ends, have built my own interconnects and, of course, love to show off the gorgeous, 3 dimensional SOUND I can get out of a good recording-of which I have MANY. My tube stereo has a YOU ARE THERE feel to it.)
3. Brewing beer

If I show someone that doesn't like old cars the car, they feign interest for a few minutes, and thats it. If I show someone that doesn't like electronics the stereo they say "That looks interesting..." and run from the room.

If they aren't a music lover, they won't sit and truly listen.

I'm older and smarter now. I haven't even tried to get someone interested in brewing.

Conversely, if someone already has an interest in one of these areas, we can talk for hours. But, I've never had the light go on above someones head, and they suddenly become a hobbyist of whatever I am espousing.

I don't know where you buy your hops & grains...and I don't know where you shop for craft beer...but if you've got a local beer shop where you can buy Bell's Two Hearted for 22 cents a bottle...let me know.

In his defense, he said he could get the beer for a fraction of the time and effort, not a fraction of the cost.

I have taught one person how to brew. Sometimes we brew together, sometimes it's just me and the dog. Either way, it's all good.:mug:

Yeah, this isn't really limited to Brewing...

My other main hobby is pyrotechnics, and we get the same thing. Everyone who finds out that you set off explosives, and design fireworks shows want to get in on that. As soon as they find out that a normal fireworks show involves 20-30 man hours of hard labor, they suddenly find other pressing engagements.

Yeah, this isn't really limited to Brewing...

My other main hobby is pyrotechnics, and we get the same thing. Everyone who finds out that you set off explosives, and design fireworks shows want to get in on that. As soon as they find out that a normal fireworks show involves 20-30 man hours of hard labor, they suddenly find other pressing engagements.

Any chance you're in the South Dakota area? I'd love to learn the art of blowing-stuff-up from the other side of the house. All I do is load up the bombs and wave goodbye to the pilots who drop 'em. :D

In my opinion, the best way to get a newbie into brewing is with an Extract + Steeping grain recipe. Boil the thing down to 3 gallons or so, so that you can dilute it with 2 gal very cold water. That way, you don't need a chiller. Use dry yeast (not a starter) and whatever you do, do NOT mention the words "decoction" or "beta amylase." Tell 'em it will ferment for 3 weeks at 70 degrees and be great without you having to touch it AT ALL in that time.

Keep it as simple as possible! RDWHAHB does NOT equal all the crazy sh*t we all honestly do now! I saw a friend do 2 batches like this and was instantly hooked. If he had talked about enzymes or step-mashing or temperature control then I would have thought it would all be too complicated for me.

I've shown my friends and coworkers both extract and all grain. None has been back for a second visit. Ok. But don't ask for free samples either. I'm fine with a barter system, but don't be a mooch, unwilling to help with creation if your not giving something in return for that beautiful elixir.

Back