The reason why SWMBO hates homebrewing thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If she doesn't like my brewing she knows she can leave my house and go back to her momma. That goes for anything I do, owned my house long before I ever met her.

Actually, I still haven't figured out what SWMBO is an acronym for. I do get that it means the wife, though.

My wife is cool with it because I spend less money on beer now than I used to and as long as I make a blonde or Kolsch every once in a while it's ok with her.

My wife of 30 years doesn't drink beer, but she'll take a little sip of a new batch just to be nice.

For some reason I still haven't figured out, she likes me home brewing and regales all of her friends/co-workers with tales of my latest DIY brew projects.:mug:

My wife of 30 years doesn't drink beer, but she'll take a little sip of a new batch just to be nice.

For some reason I still haven't figured out, she likes me home brewing and regales all of her friends/co-workers with tales of my latest DIY brew projects.:mug:

This.

I get the full support of my wife. She doesn't drink beer at all, though. Go figure.

And this. Mrs. Whut and I are going on 25 years this November and she supports my brewing 110%. :ban:

nothing but support from my wife. i thought the fermentation fridge in the dining room would be the last straw, but she actually took the car our herself to collect the second hand fridge for me. not even a beer drinker, just wants me to be happy!

As long as I fix something around the house if it breaks, keep the yard cut, and give her her fair amount of attention she doesnt care what I do with my hobbies. Be it homebrew, a long video game session, or just being lazy. Same goes for me with her hobbies I dont habe interest in.

My wife loves the beer I make. She has developed a taste for stouts and porters--amazing for a recovering Bud drinker. She shakes her head a lot when she walks into the fermentation chamber (in wife language this is known as the walk-in closet), but she has no problem with my brewing. Of course, this support has come since I moved the brewing into the garage about 8 years ago. Back when I brewed in the kitchen she complained about the smell and worried about possible boil-overs. She has helped me bottle and has also helped with mash-in on occasion, but prefers to leave me to the brewing and just enjoy the results.

As long as I fix something around the house if it breaks, keep the yard cut, and give her her fair amount of attention she doesnt care what I do with my hobbies. Be it homebrew, a long video game session, or just being lazy. Same goes for me with her hobbies I dont habe interest in.

This. As long as I'm not doing it instead of the chores, she is OK with it. Some days she enjoys it and others not so much. I also think it matter how much time you have dedicated to the hobby.

Mine hates the smell of it and the fact that i spend money on beer

Well... that seems like a happy arrangement! :drunk:

I understand the joke behind swmbo but we are both adults and act as such. There is give and take as expected in any relationship but neither is obedient to the other. I've owned my house for 14 years, brewing for longer, and have been with her for 6. She doesnt like it I'll still own my house and brew after she's gone.

My wife likes all the beers i make and has a few that she insists are always readily available. Her only complaint is when i meet someone who is a brewer or someone that thinks its cool i talk too much about it. So i guess in short she likes my homebrew, but doesnt want to hear about it. haha

I sense the only things that might bother her is if
1) I completely take over the kitchen for hours when she may want in there
2) other important life stuff takes a back seat to my hobby

She seems to be kinda proud of my brewing and her friends have enjoyed some of the spoils. She doesn't drink beer herself, but loves to cook. She sees the similarities there.

She seems to be kinda proud of my brewing and her friends have enjoyed some of the spoils. She doesn't drink beer herself

This. I catch a lot of flak from her for brewing, but somehow all her friends at work know exactly what I have in the cellar; my beer count shrinks when I leave town for business (gifted to co-workers), but most importantly, she will make sure there are at least a dozen cold homebrews in the man-fridge prior to my coming home (and she knows they need at least a minimum of 3 days in the fridge - no more sticking a sixer or two in the fridge as she is headed out the door to get me from the airport!).

I understand the joke behind swmbo but we are both adults and act as such. There is give and take as expected in any relationship but neither is obedient to the other. I've owned my house for 14 years, brewing for longer, and have been with her for 6. She doesnt like it I'll still own my house and brew after she's gone.

Doesn't sound like much give or take. Sounds like you do what you want and if she doesn't like it you threaten that she can just leave. Super healthy, glad you are portraying that healthy relationship to others online.

If she doesn't like my brewing she knows she can leave my house and go back to her momma. That goes for anything I do, owned my house long before I ever met her.

Wow what a lucky girl.....

So long as I brew outside (she's not a fan of the smell), clean up after myself, and still get things done around the house, she's happy I have something to occupy my free time.

Indytruks138 said:
Doesn't sound like much give or take. Sounds like you do what you want and if she doesn't like it you threaten that she can just leave. Super healthy, glad you are portraying that healthy relationship to others online.

Take it easy there Dr Phil!!!

Wow. Just wow.

Hopefully your last three words happen soon - for her sake.

Mine is a cleaning freak, but she generally supports my pastime. She doesn't like the post-brewing "wet grain" smell, and not crazy about the fermentation odors, but she likes to drink a home brew once in a while.

Now that I have gone to propane and confine operations to the garage, she is much happier.

If I brew in the kitchen, I mop the floor when done. I brew outside a lot more now but I still make a mess kegging and cleaning so I do my part to clean up behind me.
She likes the smell and uses the grain to make bread. She supports my hobby and I'm thankful for that.

I brewed last night and got the "why do you have to make so much beer?" (3 batches in 10 days) She hates the smell and the heat from doing it on the stove, so I gotta convince her into buying me a propane setup to bring it outside! As long as I clean up afterwards and take care of my responsibilities, she's happy. Hope the floor isn't still sticky today haha

The kitchen is always cleaner after a brew day than it ever is otherwise, so wifey's completely fine with the hobby. Between this and the fact she loves the smell of boiling wort, she's definitely a keeper. :D

Her only issues come when I brew over at a friend's place and get too hammered to make it home as soon as I should. Can't really blame her for that. :drunk:

-Rich

I didn't start out with her full support, but now she is all for it. She sees how much I enjoy it and thinks I should even start a brewery.

I get the full support of my wife. She doesn't drink beer at all, though. Go figure.

You are in the wrong thread. This thread is supposed to be SWMBO anti-brewing. (My tongue in sticking straight through my cheek.)
My wife does not drink much beer at all. She will taste each hydrometer sample and a sample just before the priming sugar. She loves the aroma of the hops throughout the house.

Mine doesn't like the fact that "brewday" to her means "I am going to spend 4-6 hours ignoring you".

I offer to let her participate, but she doesn't like beer (craft or macro), and doesn't understand what about the process of making it is supposed to be fun. She ends up watching TV all day or going to her sister's house while I sit on the porch making beer, listening to music, and having a good time.

Then again, I'm the type that enjoys cooking as much as I do eating, while she'd rather just go out to eat. Same when it comes to drinking.

As long as I fix something around the house if it breaks, keep the yard cut, and give her her fair amount of attention she doesnt care what I do with my hobbies. Be it homebrew, a long video game session, or just being lazy. Same goes for me with her hobbies I dont have interest in.

The smell of DME and even post mash wort boiling. Me, I love that smell!

I'm in the same boat. I can't do a quick small batch in the kitchen with out the exhaust fan on and all the windows downstairs open.

Mine doesn't like the fact that "brewday" to her means "I am going to spend 4-6 hours ignoring you".

I offer to let her participate, but she doesn't like beer (craft or macro), and doesn't understand what about the process of making it is supposed to be fun. She ends up watching TV all day or going to her sister's house while I sit on the porch making beer, listening to music, and having a good time.

Then again, I'm the type that enjoys cooking as much as I do eating, while she'd rather just go out to eat. Same when it comes to drinking.

Sounds like she needs more to do, LOL. My wife always has 4-6 hours of stuff to do while I am brewing that she doesn't need to include me on. House cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, etc. Not that I don't do my part but being a women who works, has kids and does her fair share of the house work 4-10 hours of me doing something else doesn't even phase her. However, we do a lot of things together as a family and we do go up north a lot on the weekends and holidays.

Mine supports me most of the time. But since we have a toddler and a baby she'd rather I spent my time watching the kids :D Usually I try to entertain at least the toddler during the mash or the boil. I brew outside next to a sand box and water thingies so entertainment is usually easy.
I don't even know if wifey likes the smell of brewing since I'm outside and she's not but I know she does NOT like the smell of hops :confused:
I'm in the same boat with other brewers here that make sure the kitchen is cleaner afterwards than it was before so there are no issues. However, I'm the clean freak in the family anyways.

EDIT: Before I met her she didn't like beer. I changed that. Since I started making beer, she even starts liking hoppy and dark beers, and also says I should think about making something out of my passion. Mission accomplished!

I don't even know if wifey likes the smell of brewing since I'm outside and she's not but I know she does NOT like the smell of hops :confused:

How in the world could anyone not love the smell of hops!?!? My son(15y/o) liked the smell of them so much that he ate a pellet of chinook! He realized that wasnt the smartest thing to do afterwards though as he said he tasted it for the rest of the day! HAHA!

Back