The problem with healthy beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made several tasty session beers that clock in around 4% ABV (like my Scottish Ale). Compared to much of what I make, they're relatively healthy.

I'm not dieting, but those I've seen succeed with dieting don't starve themselves of the good things in life. They just moderate them. Beer should be no different.

The moment I need to start choosing beers based on calories is the moment I stop drinking beer.

He makes a good point sorely missed by many of those leaving comments (on the blog). If you live a healthy lifestyle, when you have a beer, have one you really like (if that actually is MGD 64, so be it)! If you don't live a healthy lifestyle...it won't matter anyway.

For me, MGD 64...isn't worth 64 calories, but my DIPA is worth ~250, I'll just run a little more or skip dessert.

Of course, looking for sessionable craft ales is largely overlooked in the original list. Stone Levitation Ale (according to a few internet sources at least) is only 145 calories, and has plenty of flavor. It's not a "low-cal" beer, at least by their standards, but it's a pretty darn good "value" when you consider the taste/calorie mix.

Back